• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Seeds surviving dehydrator?

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
Hey all,

Quick question. I put a couple pounds of the Butch T's I recently got in my Nesco dehydrator, an after several hours in there, the peppers are ready. I kept the seeds in the peppers, but some always get knocked out onto the counter. Should I save thouse seeds, or because they went through the dehydrator (going at 160 degrees for nearly 11 hours) are the no longer viable?

160 is a little warm . . ., but, people have sprouted seeds from pepperflakes at pizza joints, who, I am sure, use a high temp to dry the peppers.  I wouldn't count on a high germ rate, but you could always try.  If you save them, label them as having gone through the dehydrator at that temp, so you will have some background info when/if you try to germ them.

chsy83 said:
160 is a little warm . . ., but, people have sprouted seeds from pepperflakes at pizza joints, who, I am sure, use a high temp to dry the peppers.  I wouldn't count on a high germ rate, but you could always try.  If you save them, label them as having gone through the dehydrator at that temp, so you will have some background info when/if you try to germ them.

K, thanks for the info :)

I would give them a shot I have grass and weeds that grow up through the cracks in the black top in my drive way and all the time I know in the sun it gets well over 160. Seeds are pretty tuff.

Back