• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds

This year I'll be growing a small variety of peppers and have a question about saving seeds. I'll be growing about 5-10 varieties that will be growing right next to one another. Am I correct in understanding that any seeds I save will not be true to original plant as they could cross pollinate?

I would love to have seeds to share, but I don't want to be the guy who gives someone seeds that won't grow true.

Bag the whole plant or afew blossoms before they open to insure seed purity. Insects and wind can cross pollinate your plants even those that are self-pollinating. It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry, regardless of the plant's population situation. Seed purity insures seed type diversity for the future. Thank You for caring!!! Positive Vibrations

Isolation can be as easy as putting a dab of glue on a flower, putting a cloth bag around a branch, or tenting the plant.  I put together simple two by four frames and use agricultural bridal cloth.  But the only reason for something that heavy is that we have horrible wind where I live.  Tents blew away, sometimes taking half the plant with them.

If all I need to do is isolate a few flowers, can I put a zip-loc bag over a cluster of flowers? Will the bag create any problems that I should look out for?

Back