• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Self Pollination...Self Pollenizing...Insects

It's my understanding that pepper plants are self pollinating, not self pollenizing. Recently, I heard someone say they were going to plant marigolds next to their pepper plants to attract bees. My question is, "Why plant the marigolds"? If a plant self pollinates, what function do the bees have?

Is it true you can simply flick the plant's flowers with your finger to encourage self pollination?

Yes, when you do that it makes a puff of pollen shoot out.  I typically do it with a cotton swab so I can catch it and move the pollen from plant to plant though, out of principle since I'm indoor growing.  You don't really need insects to do it but the plant has to have some sort of stimulation.  A fan blowing lightly should help out in indoor situations.  For my outdoor plants I don't even ever worry about it, something will do it.

Thanks.  Of course, I'm speaking of outdoor plants.

It is odd how my Tobago Treasure which is over 3ft tall, and has just 1 pod.  I have a Jamaican Mushroom that is half the size of the TT, but is loaded with pods.  So, I've been going out and flicking any and all flowers that I see.  I hope I'm making a difference.

Roguejim said:

It is odd how my Tobago Treasure which is over 3ft tall, and has just 1 pod.  I have a Jamaican Mushroom that is half the size of the TT, but is loaded with pods.  So, I've been going out and flicking any and all flowers that I see.  I hope I'm making a difference.

Roguejim said:

Might be worth trying the Qtip thing.  I had do it with some of my tomato plants outdoors because the wasps here are obsessed with bean plants.  Haven't seen a single honeybee this year though.

Edit: sorry about the double quote, I'm working with backwoods internet here

I think it may be more a situation of some plants simply not producing pollen.  Some flowers leave pollen on my finger when I flick or rub them.  Others don't leave a trace of pollen.  I'm just guessing though.

When they are ready, they will produce pollen.
Sometimes, they just drop.
I have no problem with wind doing the shaking of the flowers, but for self pollination, I bag a likely branch end before it flowers to keep bugs from doing any crossing.
In the house I use a cheap kid's artist brush from the dollar store.

Back