Sell Without Handling Product

I am in kind of a unique situation. I've dreamed of having my own hot sauce line for years, and have refined my recipes to the point where I'm happy enough with some of them that I'd sell them. However, I have no interest in being a traditional hot sauce business where I have to store my own supply, ship products to buyers, deliver to stores, etc...

I own a popular food website that gets a couple hundred thousand views a month. Since I have my own built-in customer base I would rather sell directly to them passively, meaning I sell the product to my readers, but a co-packer makes it, stores it, and ships it as it sells.

Is that even possible, or am I asking too much?

I know, to those of you who have your boots on the ground trying to build your own brand, my approach may seem lazy. However, I've already done the same legwork to build my brand and I don't have time to run two separate businesses. However, I am always looking for ways to better monetize what I already built.

I am sure if you do the leg work, you can find what you are looking for.  Here in KY, we have a copacker that does everything other than shipping to consumers.  That includes and approved storage facility.  Doing what you want would be nothing more than hiring a teenager to take orders and ship out.

After thought: You wouldnt even have to be in the same country as where you sell.  So going the copacking route, you could have your brand in multiple countries without paying international shipping.

A couple hundred thousand views is not a "built-in customer base." We have more than that here and everyone here likes hot sauce, and if I had a sauce I would prob sell a couple bottles a month if I relied only on this site.

I'll be the negative one here. The biz would likely fail because you would not be able to stay in the black, unless you hustled your products like you cared. But that takes passion.

If you only want to passively sell to your own readers, I suggest looking into a private label product, one that is made, and you can slap your website's logo on. Pimping sauce of your own recipe should be hustled unless you just want to sell a couple here and there AND can afford that or don't care that it is a losing venture.

Lots of celebrities want to open restaurants and do the same thing, but they often fail as you know the passion is not there, just the name. So just sayin. But I could see it as promo for your website but I'd go with private label in that case. Or find a small hot sauce company that wants to partner, and use your recipe, so you sell or license the recipe and they do the rest, but your name is on it.

For example if I wanted a THP sauce, I'd likely be contacting saucemakers I like and know from here, and try to partner on a "THP" sauce, then, they take care of it all, and sell it also, but I sell it here... and then, I am not in the hot sauce biz. That could be a route for your website/readers.

Back