marketing selling at farmer's markets

What are the laws regarding selling hot sauce (and hot peppers) at local farmer's markets. I live in Ontario Canada and I know they aren't letting local eggs being sold in markets (for safety reasons) but you can still buy them directly from the farmer ??? I grow tonnes of peppers and would like to start selling my products (fresh peppers, pepper plants,and sauces) on a small scale. Do I need a business license? Do I need to be zoned agriculture? What about selling plants? Is insurance neccesary? What about selling from my house or online?

I know its a lot of questions, but any help would be appreciated as I am anticipating a chilifull summer and don't want any cops or inspectors to ruin the fun

Derek

Wow! I could write a book with all of the thoughts that are crossing my mind at this point.
Best thing to do with the Farmers Market deal, is to check with the market office directly on their requirements. Their requirements will normally (should)fall within the govt regs. and should clear up many of your questions.

You need a commercial kitchen and you need to jump through hoops to get your product sold commercially.

However, in alberta, you can use your own kitchen and don't need to do all that other stuff if you only intent to sell at a province sanctioned farmer's market.

hope that helps. I may be off a little in my facts, but that's what i remmeber reading.

If you are using your own kitchen to cook your food product for sale at farmer's markets, you have to be the one selling it to the consumer.

If you want to sell your food product commercially, you will have to jump through the hoops and you will have to attach bilingual labels.

To sell at the farmer's market, you will need a sales license for the town that monitors the market, but the market office can help you with that.

Some farmers' markets require jurying, others don't. You might want to take a day and talk to the sellers who are already at the market you wish to attend and they can give you the skinny on the market from a seller's standpoint.

Welcome to the market.

Btw, which part of Ontario are you in?

I plan on selling mostly fresh peppers and pepper plants but would like to have my own hot sauce for sale (whether I bottle it or someone else) What circumstances would I need to be zoned agriculture? I was questioned about my greenhouse when local government came by to give us our census. They wanted to know if I was selling any of my plants/veggies or had any other farm operation. I think they are looking to increase my taxes. I denied selling anything so I could do more research and save cash.

I heard on the radio today that the Ontario government is changing the way some food products are classified which will result in market vendors having to advertise that their products have not been inspected. I would think this to be common sense at most small markets, since all jams/sauces are in mason jars or home-style packaging. The government is once again stepping on the feet of the small farmer, trying to drive away all the tradition and heritage. There is even talk about restrictions on what varieties farmers will be allowed to plant(disease resistant strains) eliminating heirlooms and personal favorites There is a local organization where I live called "the Lanark landowner's association" who have started what is called the Rural revolution. It consists of farmers, and local country folk who are tired of the government pushing them around. From what I hear, the revolution is spreading across Ontario and Canada with frequent protests and tractor blockades. People must realize that these local producers are able to offer food with more taste and variety than the mass producers and factory farms and most often the small farm is cleaner, safer and employs local people. Its not just farms either. Local sawmills have been shut down by the ministry of the environment for having to much sawdust/bark which could potentially leach into some aquafir ??? This is Canada, aren't we all a bunch of lumberjacks. A little sawdust and bark in our water never hurt us before.

While re-filing my 'retail' preferences this year, I selected " selling at flea markets and other markets" to allow me to sell wherever I got the urge.
But, if I decide to sell on a 'city' street corner, I need a special 'street corner vender' permit.

Hi Drew'sNatural! 

:welcome: to THP.

This is a pretty old thread (2006).  You may get more current information by starting a new thread asking for info about said topic if some of the folks here don't post back. 

:cheers:
salsalady

salsalady said:
Hi Drew'sNatural! 

:welcome: to THP.

This is a pretty old thread (2006).  You may get more current information by starting a new thread asking for info about said topic if some of the folks here don't post back. 

:cheers:
salsalady
+1
 i also live in ontario and i dont plan to sell at farmers markets any time soon i have gotten a bit of info that may help you drew. check out these links and see 

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._291/index.html   <---- canadian processed products regulations

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/fruitveg/sellingfruitsvegs.htm    <-----selling fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers markets and the farm gate

Back