misc Selling Hot Sauces & Condiments

Are any of you making it in the Hot Sauce business or is it just a sideline?
Just wondering after a crazy runaround this week with city hall. Even though I had paid for my Contractor and Merchant licenses, they dropped the Merchant Lic. I got it back today to stay legal, but I figure I'll just be one of thousands selling sauces. For now, it will be a sideline.

I now have 2 sites http://tinsmith.freeyellow.com/ The first needs a rebuild and a new one that needs building. The actual dot-com is albertsroofing.com

And this one.
http://frankssauces.com/

Sorry to hear that Tinner,
Seems like you are getting the runaround pretty good through the red tape. I wouldn't give up hope though...Good things come to those who won't give in. I had a few 'reality checks' early on, and still have a few minor obstacles, but if it's what you want to do, run with the ball!

Frank,

The Peppermaster and I do this full time.

You will, regardless of your Merchant license, be one of thousands of companies doing this.

You'll be pleased to know though that the market is far from saturated.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with Government, as you get bigger, you'll discover that there are even more difficulties to overcome. As a contractor, you know what you need to do. As a hot sauce seller, you'll have to learn.

It sounds to me like contrary to the difficulty, you landed on your feet. That tells me that you've got something going right.

I'm curious, have you decided to do this part-time because of the Government SNAFU or for other reasons. If it's because of the Government, please reconsider. When everything is in place, they become tertiary.

T

I feel that at 50+ years of age, I'm gonna need something to fall back on in times of trouble, and as a possible alternative to roofing. :D
I fell twice last year and broke the same arm, different bone each time. Since I didn't have something to fall back on, I went back onto the roof both times and continued to work though the 'bad times'. Braces and duct tape work wonders in a pinch. :onfire: Never did get to the doc to put on a cast. :beer:
But one of these times, I'll be laid up and could maybe run an online store from bed. Wouldn't be first time I was broken and couldn't work for a year. :?
Just laugh along with me. :lol: I hope to go out with a bang, not laying around waiting to leave this world. :lol:

Tinner - An online store is easy enough to "run" - but the fufillment takes a lot of work, so I hop eyou have help. It's something you really have to love as well, but if you can work with it, it's worth the ride. Best of luck to you

Howdy Frank, Sounds like you're already on your way to getting started in the hot sauce biz. I can tell that you have PASSION, this is something that Nick mentioned and it plays a huge role in making things happen. Definately, need some product knowledge which you seem to have. Being self-employed is a big positive as well. You'll need to be flexible with your time. Keep this in mind, part-time retail requires full-time efforts to keep it running. I think you'll do well. Give it your best and see what happens!

Cap'n :onfire:

Once I know what to put in the catalog and decide on pricing, I plan on delivering the sauces around the local area. Richmond is small enough, and I'm all over town anyway as a roofer. I doubt I'll have to travel more than a mile or two out of my way.
Still building the site on my local computer and haven't uploaded it yet. Since I'm using Fusion and it's not 'listed' on my host as a regular. I have to wait for support to give me more info on my CSR which is needed for the SSL padlock. We'll see. Thanks for the kind words.

Back