Selling peppers?

First, to be absolutely clear, I am not  offering anything for sale, trade, exchange, or otherwise.

However, I see several forum members offering Flat Rate Boxes of peppers for sale.

I honestly have never considered doing that, even though I harvest I would guess several hundred to maybe even more than a thousand pods each season, which I dehydrate and sometimes powder or flake, but I always have hundreds of dried pods left over.

Not that I am seriously considering selling peppers, mainly due to not wanting to deal with A-holes who try to rip you off (not saying any of our esteemed regular members would do so, but...), and payment issues (I would only accept USPS Money Orders, and I know some will only do PayPal, which I will not because they ripped me off), but I really feel most of my pods do go unused.

Again, I am not seriously considering selling pods, but I wanted to get some opinions and personal experiences (positive and negative) from those who have.

Thanks for reading.

well state your requirements and make an ad post. if someone wants it then cool, if not then cool. you got nothing to lose.
if they don't meet your requirements you can tell them to go away, too bad so sad.

i'm sure there are stories of people who "i sent a money order to this guy and never got anything back i'm never doing that again" so it's kinda meh anyone can get screwed.

Don't see any problem with selling them - figure it's pretty much the same as going to the local farmers market and selling them there - and most of the members that sell them here do so at reasonable prices ( $12 - $18 for a SFRB shipped ) - so figure it's not like anyone is making a living off of the sales. Also for those buying them it gives them a chance to get some fresh peppers they might not be able to find elsewhere so really is a win for both the seller (gets a bit of funds to purchase new nutrients and supplies for next season) and the buyer ( gets some varieties he may not be growing or some peppers when his crop isn't ready yet !)

AS for payment the reason most use Paypal is it is fast and makes shipping the peppers when fresh easier than waiting for a money order to arrive and clear the bank before shipping so seller is assured they get their payment and buyer gets the pods as soon as possible ( Which is also why most use flat rate boxes instead of regular post to get the 2-3 day delivery with tracking included !)

alkhall said:
Not that I am seriously considering selling peppers, mainly due to not wanting to deal with A-holes who try to rip you off 

In my experience going into any transaction or sale with an attitude like that can start off on the wrong foot.  Let's say you sold 10 boxes and 1 guy flipped and had paypal refund his money.  You still made the dough on 9 boxes and the one guy who was unreasonable 'got over' on you.  You're still making some ok money to help finance next year's grow and those other 9 people are signing your praises.  In the end you take the good w the bad and roll on brother. ;)

One thing I really would like to see:  Yelp for people.  I would really like to write a review about how Todd sucks at his job or spends too much time surfing the internet on the clock after Todd flamed my business because we ran out of something he wanted that day.  Or even a 'BUYERS VAULT' section of the website.  <-- Stuff like that would be nice to be able to check and see if someone has made purchases and been skeevy about things in the past.  I read paypal forum topics where sellers are upset over transactions when maybe if they had some better tools they could perhaps be a little more choosy about who to sell to.   

USPS money orders are definitely more secure for you but they're also more difficult for buyers to get.  You'd lose sales to others accepting paypal.  Then again that might not be a bad thing...  

Thanks to all for the replies and insight.

It appears that selling peppers is not for me. I suppose need to concentrate on giving them away to friends, family, co-workers and the like.

Thanks again.

SmokenFire said:
One thing I really would like to see:  Yelp for people.  
I have used (and was encouraged to do so by computer hardware forums) the site heatware.com in the past. It allows for a person to receive buyer/seller feedback across multiple websites.

SmokenFire said:

In my experience going into any transaction or sale with an attitude like that can start off on the wrong foot.  Let's say you sold 10 boxes and 1 guy flipped and had paypal refund his money.  You still made the dough on 9 boxes and the one guy who was unreasonable 'got over' on you.  You're still making some ok money to help finance next year's grow and those other 9 people are signing your praises.  In the end you take the good w the bad and roll on brother. ;)

One thing I really would like to see:  Yelp for people.  I would really like to write a review about how Todd sucks at his job or spends too much time surfing the internet on the clock after Todd flamed my business because we ran out of something he wanted that day.  Or even a 'BUYERS VAULT' section of the website.  <-- Stuff like that would be nice to be able to check and see if someone has made purchases and been skeevy about things in the past.  I read paypal forum topics where sellers are upset over transactions when maybe if they had some better tools they could perhaps be a little more choosy about who to sell to.   

USPS money orders are definitely more secure for you but they're also more difficult for buyers to get.  You'd lose sales to others accepting paypal.  Then again that might not be a bad thing...  
ditto with that !  BAD BUISNESS !     :onfire:

I'm amazed at how fast they sell.  I would probably never buy a SFRB or any product off a forum.  The challenge to me is doing it myself whether its growing out or making a sauce, powder etc.  I can understand those with limited space wanting to taste a new variety.  It seems more of an addiction to the hype.  I could see trading or selling for cost of shipping.  It's like selling weed to your buddies so you can smoke for free...lol...that was 80ish.  I know some make a living out of it, some do it to supplement costs and some do it for a chance to go on to make a living out of it so I hope they succeed.  

I just look at a pod, plant or seed and think there is no way I will ever recoup the time invested so I will just share.  The trading makes it worth it when you both have the same time and money invested.  A hobby to me does not need to recoup.  I need to find ways to trim expenses and improve.   

SmokenFire said:

This is a really good idea and perhaps a section we can start here, a scammers sections that post name and addy so other sellers don't also get ripped off. Could be part of the members only section that would increase revenue on THP as well as provide a little security for the scammers section. It would need a mod that the complaint can be sent to and time for the buyer to also report to so that there could be some for of moderation and perhaps one resolve the issue, or two prevent it from being abused by people just reporting others? just a thought

Student of Spice said:

This is a really good idea and perhaps a section we can start here, a scammers sections that post name and addy so other sellers don't also get ripped off. Could be part of the members only section that would increase revenue on THP as well as provide a little security for the scammers section. It would need a mod that the complaint can be sent to and time for the buyer to also report to so that there could be some for of moderation and perhaps one resolve the issue, or two prevent it from being abused by people just reporting others? just a thought

Or we could use forums as they were intended.  To share information, experience and help others.  Leave the market place to other websites and let that website deal with issues.

Rairdog said:

Or we could use forums as they were intended.  To share information, experience and help others.  Leave the market place to other websites and let that website deal with issues.
We could, but if it is intended to share information, experience, and help others....... it would do all of those things too. :think:

Or we could all check with others before we make a post, maybe I shouldn't have expressed my opinion of another members idea which seemed good. I guess I was just confused about what this site was? I mean I see classified sections.....I see people do sell things....I even thought we had something titled market place something or other. Maybe I have stumbled into an alternate THP :eek:  :party:

They screw you, you put them on blast. You screw them, they in turn put you on blast. There should be some kind of feedback sub for buyers and sellers, where both can praise or warn other members. Im new to thp, but I see people with badges, why not a verified seller or buyer badge?

Rairdog said:

I don't pretend to speak for THP but I would say that these forums were intended to facilitate the sharing of info AND the selling of goods, thus the many different sections.  The more usefulness and options available can only mean good things for the growth of this community.  

SmokenFire said:

I don't pretend to speak for THP but I would say that these forums were intended to facilitate the sharing of info AND the selling of goods, thus the many different sections.  The more usefulness and options available can only mean good things for the growth of this community.  
I apologize and you have always had my respect as a valued member since I joined a short time ago.   Yes...forums have market place section.  I have watched many turn into more of a marketplace and it gets harder to sift through the info that interests my goals.  I just don't want to hit "new posts" and sift through the adds(I do like looking at boxes of peppers).  If I want to buy something I will go to the marketplace.  This was posted in "Growing Hot Peppers" and I was thinking along the same lines as to why would you sell them.   Maybe I'm off...IDK.  We all have our own reason for being here whether it's improving your grow, cooking, problems with plants, helping others or selling something.    

I dont know about anyone else but THP has some of the most honest, Generous and forthright people I have ever met.

The sense of oneness, community , goodwill and empathy that is found here has more than blown me away and shown me what a true " chilihead " is. Its about the mindset first. The love of heat second.

Sure, there are aasholes wherever people congregate. But from what I've seen, they don't last long here.

That's what happens when you build a place that stands on principle and have members who live integrity in their life to the best of their ability. It not only instills those principles in others but inspires them to spread that message in their daily life.

How many of us have given not only materialistic stuff but our time to others simply because we were treated well here? I know I have.

I've never personally met anyone here in the outside world. But people like Wicked Mike, Dru, GM, Old Salty, Sicman, JayT, Booma, Pex, Pepper Trent, the boss, and everyone else who makes THP a part of their daily life have shown me what the internet can truly do. And that is bring us together.

Since the first SFRB I bought from Pex all I have seen is generosity on behalf of the members here. Shit. I've never seen that ANYWHERE else to the degree I've seen it here.

All right enough sappy shit from me.

Y'all's all right in my book.

Hi all!! My harvest last year failed miserably, with hundreds and hundreds of flowers dropping and only producing five tiny little pods.

I would be very very interested in buying peppers from the fantastic members of THP! While I'm not looking for hundreds of peppers, I would love a nice cross-section of 20 to 40 if anyone here is interested?

As far as payment, I'm happy to handle that anyway you prefer. One thing I can promise is that I am not a scammer, and one thing I know for sure is that I was not good at growing super hots!!

Please feel free to message me, thanks.

Matt

Squid check out the vendor section which will be in the forum ads. You'll find there are numerous members with outstanding product to choose from. Most of them accept PayPal and ship 2 day priority shipping with the USPS.

Squidracing said:
Hi all!! My harvest last year failed miserably, with hundreds and hundreds of flowers dropping and only producing five tiny little pods.

I would be very very interested in buying peppers from the fantastic members of THP! While I'm not looking for hundreds of peppers, I would love a nice cross-section of 20 to 40 if anyone here is interested?

As far as payment, I'm happy to handle that anyway you prefer. One thing I can promise is that I am not a scammer, and one thing I know for sure is that I was not good at growing super hots!!

Please feel free to message me, thanks.

Matt
send a PM to wickedmike, he has a very big list of varieties that he has available. he has an ad up too, check it out

Back