• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sending out seeds in sub zero temps

I am sending out some seeds to people and its below zero here now. Do I need to bring the envelopes to the post office or would it be fine in the mailbox?

chillilover said:
I am sending out some seeds to people and its below zero here now. Do I need to bring the envelopes to the post office or would it be fine in the mailbox?

As long as the seeds are dry and won't be bothered by condensation (they're protected by a moisture barrier), the cold won't hurt them.

~DiggingDog

In fact I beleive in Norway, they have a huge seed bank inside a frozen mountain and the temp stays about -25C 25F. So I think they should be fine.

Here is the full article.

DiggingDogFarm said:
As long as the seeds are dry and won't be bothered by condensation (they're protected by a moisture barrier), the cold won't hurt them.

~DiggingDog

Yeah. As long as they are completely dried, no wiorries. The fear of freezing is from the expanding water rupturing cell walls.

UnNatural said:
Yeah. As long as they are completely dried, no wiorries. The fear of freezing is from the expanding water rupturing cell walls.

Oh I always thought they would be no good even dried. Makes sense though.:)

That's not Norway. It's my basement. :)

Chris

Pepperfreak said:
In fact I beleive in Norway, they have a huge seed bank inside a frozen mountain and the temp stays about -25C 25F. So I think they should be fine.

Here is the full article.

Back