• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Seperating worm castings today

ah yes dookie duty LOL!!

yeah i imagine it would be a lot of work that why i feed the wild ones in my garden something everyday while the weather is warm enough, you would be amazed how quick the stuff i put down disappears and they do leave those lovely little lumps behind, i move them to where there needed (that is when they drop um in between the rows and elsewhere)

all in all worth the work i was thinking about vermacomposting inside over the winter but never got around to it

thanks your friend Joe 

I love seeing worms in my pots.
But worm casings are cheap at the nursery.
Why mess with making your own?

A couple sq.ft. bag is under $20..
Isn't your time worth more than that?

Maybe Ca. suppliers are different,I don't know...
Do you REALLY have to make your own?

As far as my experiances go.IF I have cool soil in my pots,I have tons of worms doing their thing.
When I grew in the ground IF I had good soil,I had worms.
At the time I used Canadian night crawlers for fish bait.
I tossed the not used bait in my garden.
They made moon craters at night when they came up.
When it rained it looked like I had tons of baby snakes all over the place.

I used to electrocute the ground for bait.(google it).

A lot of the stuff people go out of the way to grow in bins or? would do as well in a compost pile or pot with good soil from the start.

But people think if they aren't messing with stuff,it isn't good enough.

Worm castings provide nutrients and introduce good bacteria to soil.  If you get some off the shelf I guess there is a risk that those good bacteria have died.  It would still be good soil conditioner even if that were the cast.

My worm farm is almost no work, certainly comparable to any other composting.  One thing I like about making my own is if I think my garden is lacking anything nutrient wise I dose the worm farm with appropriate food i.e. bananas for potasium.

As Robisburning said those from the store in a plastic bag are devoid of any living bacteria that is beneficial.
Raising them is easy it's just the separating of the castings that is the work.
I am fascinated by horticulture and botany so I enjoy the work as this is a hobby of mine and not a passing endeavor.

If you want to buy worm castings, I think it advisable to buy from a large worm farm.

Here in Japan I finally found a large scale source to buy from. They only sell locally (West Japan) or via email contact.

Back