• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Serranos and jalapenos from the grocery store

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
This morning, I went to the grocery store and saw that for the first time in forever, they had jalapenos, serranos and several varieties of bell peppers. I purchased about a half a pound each of serranos and jalapenos. I was wondering, does anyone have success in growing pepper plants from seeds that were acquired from grocery-bought peppers.

I plan on using the peppers themselves to experiment on some hot sauce and salsa ideas I've had bouncing in my head for a while.

Both jalapenos and serranos are green

It may work but you'd have much better success using ripe pods which should have a lot more mature seeds

Duly noted on all counts. Thanks for the info :)

What i dont get is why are the supermarket jalapenos like 5 times bigger than what my plant is putting off!!!

Often peppers at the grocery store may not be grown locally and are picked earlier in their development than you would pick yourself off a plant, even in the case of those considered ready while green like bells, jalapenos and serranos, so the issue of using optimal red ripe fruit is even more significant with store bought fruit.

I have in the past grown grocery store bought red bell peppers. What peppers (fruit) that grew was ok except there was something odd about the plant in that it was very deformed looking and always insisted on growing many buds in a small tight configuration so the fruit didn't have enough room to grow. I mean it was two separate plants, the only two red bells I grew so I can't attribute it to a one-off odd plant deformity. I didn't bother saving any seeds from that plant nor am I going to use any of the others from the grocery store bought fruit, I threw them away.

Also keep in mind that companies like Monsanto are hard at work making GMO (genetically modified) seeds that cause the resultant plant to be sterile, large scale growers who sell to grocery store chains may be using this seed.

What if they were left to ripen on the counter? Would the seeds work then you think?

Ripening is just an enzyme process that happens at the end of fruit maturity. Unless you take careful measurements of the fruit to notice the end of growth it is difficult to determine the fruit is fully mature so seeing it ripen is the easiest way. When the fruit is picked the maturity of the seeds at that point is what matters, letting it sit on a counter won't make a difference, but at the same time seeds from a mature but not yet ripe pepper may be viable, it's just not something to depend on.

What i dont get is why are the supermarket jalapenos like 5 times bigger than what my plant is putting off!!!

They're probably hybrids. Sometimes I wonder if americanized jalapenos sold in grocery stores are actually a jalapeno-bell-jalapeno hybrid. On the other hand, for some reason I get significantly larger fruit when my jalapenos are planted in the ground rather than potted (using same seed), though it could be that with more nutrients in the pots I get more blooms simultaneously so the plant is growing more peppers simultaneously.

My first Jalapenos came from our local farmers market I picked the red ones out, and got a few plants to grow, now I take the seeds from my plants red pods that are still hanging on the plants.

Jalapeno size has a lot to do with genetics. There was a largest jalapeno contest a few years ago and you could get a good idea which varieties have the potential to get big and which ones don't

There are many different varieties of Jalapenos. Some varieties are giant Jalapenos while other varieties produce smaller fruit. If you want some jalapeno seeds, just buy some....they are like 1.29. Go on all of the seed vendors' sites from THP....You will find a lot of variety and you will be supporting the small guy, rather than fatten up the big chain giants.

Although to stay on topic, if you do choose peppers that are at full maturity (ripe or not) I mean ripening from one color to another can happen overnight. It doesn't mean that when it was green the night before the seeds were not good. Best bet is to pick a few that look the biggest and most fully developed, cut them open and look at the seeds. If it has that nice fat ridge around the out edge of the seed. (The Radicle) then most likely it is good to grow. If it is flat and soft.....junk.

There is a bigger market for green chillies.

go to 55 seconds in the vid.

You need to get seeds that are grown full.

I think it's a case of educating the masses.
Red means hot to most people, even a Jalapeno!
Personally I would re-classify it as a sweet Pepper, but that might just be the examples we get in the UK.

Going back to the original post.
I have had a lot of success from saved seed from store bought fruits, whenever I go on holiday I bring back examples of local produce as ripe as I can find it and grow it when I get home.
I have also had some unexpected results from dried chillis 90%+ germination! from packs bought from the Indian grocers.

Your grocery store just got serranos and jalapenos in? Not an everyday item in their produce department?

Wow

i bought some jalapenos from the grocery store brought them home took some seeds out put them in a plastic bag for another time because im new to growing and thought they would work, well i looked at the bag on top of the fridge like a week later and like 20 had sprouted so i threw a few in pots and i have some nice little plants

oh and they were green

I've always associated jalapenos with being a deep green color when ripe. In fact, the jalapeno hot sauce I received for Christmas was green in color. As for the serrano peppers, after a cursory check with the Oracle of Google, yes, they are supposed to be red in color, so I'll let them ripen to red.

That being said, will the serranos being in my fridge in any way inhibit the speed at which they ripen?

Back