• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Several plants not producing pollen

I live in south central nj and am in zone 7a. I have 3 plants with no pollen production. They were all container plants one of which I planted on the garden as my garden peppers are doing fine. They are the red moruga, butch t, and naga viper. The naga viper I planted in my garden maybe a week to ten days ago. The flowers on those plants seem a little brittle. On a side note I do have what appears to be BLS on those plants. The lower leaves are yellowing and dropping but the plants have maybe 2 foot by 2 foot canopys. I sprayed with Epsom salts 2 weeks ago and am trying out a fertilizer called trifecta plus and I was giving them compost tea during the heat wave we had a few weeks ago. I had blossom drop which i expected but the new flowers are completely devoid of pollen. This problem is only in my container plants (my container bhut plant is producing though) and all my containers are fed and watered equally. The plants are on my pool deck and get direct sunlight from 8-5. They were moved during the heat wave as the deck was getting so hot i was worried the roots would cook. I hope this is enough information to get started. I am on my mobile and this is my first post so I haven't figured out how to insert pictures yet.

BrianK said:
I live in south central nj and am in zone 7a. I have 3 plants with no pollen production. They were all container plants one of which I planted on the garden as my garden peppers are doing fine. They are the red moruga, butch t, and naga viper. The naga viper I planted in my garden maybe a week to ten days ago. The flowers on those plants seem a little brittle. On a side note I do have what appears to be BLS on those plants. The lower leaves are yellowing and dropping but the plants have maybe 2 foot by 2 foot canopys. I sprayed with Epsom salts 2 weeks ago and am trying out a fertilizer called trifecta plus and I was giving them compost tea during the heat wave we had a few weeks ago. I had blossom drop which i expected but the new flowers are completely devoid of pollen. This problem is only in my container plants (my container bhut plant is producing though) and all my containers are fed and watered equally. The plants are on my pool deck and get direct sunlight from 8-5. They were moved during the heat wave as the deck was getting so hot i was worried the roots would cook. I hope this is enough information to get started. I am on my mobile and this is my first post so I haven't figured out how to insert pictures yet.

To insert pics you have to upload them somewhere else first like www.imgur.com. I've posted a guide in the past, I'll dig it up & quote it here.

Edit: Found it.

TXCG said:
Step-by-step how to post an image:

1) Go to imgur.com. It will look like this. You can optionally register for a free account which will then keep all your pictures saved together. An account isn't necessary to upload pictures but unless you save the address it will be difficult to find your picture again. On imgur file size doesn't matter but any file over 2 megabytes will be automatically resized for you.

Click on the little up arrow to bring up the dialog box for uploading pictures:

UMwiYu4.png

2) The upload box looks like this. You can click "browse your computer" to open up a file browser & navigate to your picture. Or you if you already have a file browser window open you can click on the image file & drag it onto the dialog box.

td7evOS.png

3) Browse to your image, select it & click open. 

Qvjp1vY.png

4) Now your upload box will look like this. Click Start upload:

XKGwWUN.png

5) After the upload completes a page like this should pop up. Copy the Direct Link url to your clipboard. In this pic the URL would be 
http://i.imgur.com/ujjERYX.jpg
RUj9GRL.png

6) Back on thehotpepper.com your reply box should look like this. Click the image circled in red to bring up the next dialog box:
0nwPkBR.png

Which will look like this:

l1kefOt.png

7) Paste the URL from your clipboard into this dialog box

XilAeai.png

8) Click OK and your image is now embedded!

ujjERYX.jpg

Thanks. I'll post some pics of my suspected BLS problem as I didn't wish to inundate the forum with too many posts

The wind could be blowing the pollen off. When I cross plants together there is a window I have for pollen. Check at different times to make sure they are not producing pollen. Also check to see if the anthers are open when you do.

Back