• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sexy Beds!!!

Saw this and just though I'd share. I have a large amount of reclaimed corrugated metal, concidering this very seriously now. Mine are Zink coated, not sure how that will do with the soil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnArAl617k&ab_channel=homesteadonomics​
 ​
It would seem that Zink is great, if my research is correct.​
 ​

Zinc metal is as essential to sustaining life as water. It plays an important role in the biological processes of all organisms and thankfully it is abundant in the Earth’s crust. Zinc is safely used for many consumer products and is a critical additive in agricultural fertilizers, especially in areas of the developing world where there is too little zinc in the soil to produce healthy crops. Zinc is naturally cycled through the environment by Mother Nature, with approximately six million tons constantly moving in flowing water, wind, precipitation, and erosion throughout our ecosystem each year. Worldwide, man-made point sources of zinc such as hot-dip galvanized poles, sign structures, bridges, and guardrail add another 62,000 tons per year. That one percent anthropogenic contribution is statistically very small, but any imbalance to nature must be critically assessed. Studies reveal zinc corrosion products emanating from hotdip galvanized steel products remain in very close proximity to the products themselves, meaning a very small area of the environment has elevated levels of zinc. With the exception of one measurement at 3 meters distance from the base of one tower in the study (Table 2, page 4), levels of zinc were far below the USEPA Ecological Soil Screening Level even in the most corrosive atmosphere to zinc. More importantly, very little of the zinc is actually available for absorption by organisms and thus remains harmlessly in the ground, to be redistributed by Mother Nature over the next centuries.

I made something similar a couple year ago. I got the wood from a friend who was replacing their deck and the metal roofing was relatively cheap.

48073547131_1251ffe374_c.jpg

This year, I wanted to make some more but pricing out decent material, it worked out not that much cheaper than buying and a hell of a lot more work! In the end I ordered 4 of these: https://shop.epicgardening.com/collections/birdies-original/products/original-8-in-1-metal-raised-garden-bed?variant=31713123532865

PaulG said:
Those are sweet beds. Do you order them
by the part, depending on which option, or
does it come as a kit which can be put together
several ways?

You own bed looks pretty darn nice, as well!

Hi Paul, the beds come in a kit. The 6-in-1 has 4 corners and 6 short sides and the 8-in-1 has 4 corners, 2 short and 4 long sides. They are both available in 15" or 30" tall versions. You can configure it how you like but the more square it is, the more area you achieve - I guess this is due to the way the panels overlap. They're a bit pricey as they're made in Australia but they'll last a decade or more and the beige colour will match my house :)

Siv said:

Hi Paul, the beds come in a kit. The 6-in-1 has 4 corners and 6 short sides and the 8-in-1 has 4 corners, 2 short and 4 long sides. They are both available in 15" or 30" tall versions. You can configure it how you like but the more square it is, the more area you achieve - I guess this is due to the way the panels overlap. They're a bit pricey as they're made in Australia but they'll last a decade or more and the beige colour will match my house :)
Very cool, indeed. You get what you pay for, IMHO!

Right, a square maximizes the area for any quadrilateral
with a given perimeter.

Back