• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shabu Shabu

A week or so ago there was a lottery in the ad section on some free Shabu Shabu seeds, which I did not get. I was very disappointed. It is interesting how life works out. I just got a box of peppers from Tony Sherwood so I could try some of these Carbaneros ( Nigel have you tried these yet?, I'll send you one if you have not), but he also sent me some other peppers in the box. He included 2 Shabus, which we tried last night at hot pepper night. I wasn't expecting much, maybe just an average naga kind of thing, but I was wrong. These are really special in a way I have not tasted before. They tasted like a red hot pepper that someone had sprinkled black pepper on top of. Sure, you call a hot pepper spicy, but this is REALLY a spicy pepper. I bet it would make killer powder. Now I have about 60 seeds to plant and I already know what it tastes like. So life is good. Anyone who has not tried one, you should. I won't have pods for 5 months, but that time goes real quick. Tom

I messed up looks like.  Wish I would have tried these.   I got a bunch of pods from Tony a while back, 4 of which were shabu shabu.  I had so many and was so burnt out on peppers by then never got around to trying them.  I did save all the seeds though and put them into a powder mix.  Was thinking of growing one this year, looks like I am going to have to for sure now.

cycadjungle said:
A week or so ago there was a lottery in the ad section on some free Shabu Shabu seeds, which I did not get. I was very disappointed. It is interesting how life works out. I just got a box of peppers from Tony Sherwood so I could try some of these Carbaneros ( Nigel have you tried these yet?, I'll send you one if you have not), but he also sent me some other peppers in the box. He included 2 Shabus, which we tried last night at hot pepper night. I wasn't expecting much, maybe just an average naga kind of thing, but I was wrong. These are really special in a way I have not tasted before. They tasted like a red hot pepper that someone had sprinkled black pepper on top of. Sure, you call a hot pepper spicy, but this is REALLY a spicy pepper. I bet it would make killer powder. Now I have about 60 seeds to plant and I already know what it tastes like. So life is good. Anyone who has not tried one, you should. I won't have pods for 5 months, but that time goes real quick. Tom

Hi Tom, I have seeds from Tony, but haven`t grown or tried the Carbonaro so far. 

I have grown and tried Shabu Shabu and they are a wonderful variety, quite unlike the run of the mill Naga. Shockingly, I did a review, along with Burmese Naga and Naga Raja from Nagaland. The Burmese are the hottest by far, in my limited experience. I`ve grown these, plus King Nagas, Dorset Nagas (another renamed variety, found in a Bangladeshi market in the UK) and Cornish Nagas (an unintentional Naga hybrid, maybe with Yellow 7-pot) and those are just there red ones  :rolleyes:

On a slightly different note last year a friend in the UK obtained seeds of a Naga that has been growing in garden of the Indian Embassy in Burma for many years. He named it the E-Naga, just to differentiate it from the rest and not to rename it. They are blisteringly hot and have wonderful flavour. They are extremely similar to the Burmese Naga, in my opinion. The Burmese was found by Grant Hustler in market in Mandalay a few years ago. Anyway, I have isolated seeds for the E-Naga and will be growing it out this year and isolating it myself. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlQlmL8XZ8w

Yes Mike, the same one.
Nigel, would you like me to send you a couple of Carbaneros to do a taste test? They are still good and should do just fine if I do it in the next few days. They are barely hot, so it won't be a stressful review.
I looked at the Shabu review. The ones I got have a different taste than the one you tried. You tasted a grassy taste and these have a black pepper taste.

Back