• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Shade cloth %

welp tried to staple gun some weed cloth up, but it just tore.  So I stapled up a cheap ass old bed sheet that will work until my shade cloth comes in.

What are you all using to secure the shade cloth to wood?  Staples or something else? 

mrgrowguy said:

Nice room!!

My shade cloth from Lowes is going on 3.5 years for me and still looks brand new.

Thanks was going to make it a greenhouse but then I realized I live in So Cal lol   Here's what it looks like finished.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 52
Ah, I live like 2 cities away from you. 

And that is just about perfect. I really like how it's enclosed and well above ground level. Good light, ample space, and the corner means guaranteed not to have too much sun when it gets too hot for the plants no matter where the sun comes up from. We usually can't have it all, but if the side with the outer door (the side you took the pics from) is facing East, that would top it off.

Make sure to enjoy that! As you seem to be :)

rjacobs said:
welp tried to staple gun some weed cloth up, but it just tore.  So I stapled up a cheap ass old bed sheet that will work until my shade cloth comes in.

What are you all using to secure the shade cloth to wood?  Staples or something else? 

I only have experience with attaching to PVC, sorry

rjacobs said:

I usually either roll the cloth around the wood piece a couple times (so the majority of the cloth is being pulled by the entire piece of wood rather than pulling on just the staples) - or sandwich the cloth between 2 pieces of wood that are screwed together (again so the stress of the pulling is on the wood rather than the cloth

Pretty much the same concept as the room pics gargoyle91 posted above  (notice the wood pieces run down the center height with the cloth sandwiched between them)

I don't have a link, but remember reading a research paper that placed the optimal value at 30% blockage for most 'standard' peppers.

Do you think window screening would work as a shade cloth or would it allow way too much sun? I'm in Tulsa, OK and this is my first year to grow. Many of my peppers have already dried out.
Edit: Much of the soil for my peppers has dried out a few times (separated from the sides of the pots).

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

eternalsoil said:
Do you think window screening would work as a shade cloth or would it allow way too much sun? I'm in Tulsa, OK and this is my first year to grow. Many of my peppers have already dried out.
Edit: Much of the soil for my peppers has dried out a few times (separated from the sides of the pots).

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sure, give it a try. It's far cheaper than shade cloth! The 'blackage' rating probably won't be more than 20%, but you can double it easily enough.

Haha that weed barrier comes in handy in July and August around here! Block that afternoon 100 degree sun.

Im northeast if dallas and the floods finally left as well. Mine are in direct sunlight all day and doing pretty good if I say so myself. Some of the new growth is curling a bit but that was happening when it constantly rained so I think the cold night hot days may have some effect on that. They've started to size up a bit since real texas has showed up.

Back