Shelf grow and the prefabs

It seems like when most people start a shelf grow, they begin with a prefabricated shelf.  I am curious to know if there is a reason folk dont tend to first think building something from lumber.  I went with a foot print of about 2 foot by four foot frames.  Inside the frames sit mortar pans which hold water and prevent it from leaking to the floor.  Works great.

I think it kinda depends. Some may not have the tools or equipment to fab one. Then you also have those who have every kind of tool known to man and dont know how to use them. (collectors). For me it depends on material. What I have laying around, or if I need material, is the lumber cheaper than an existing prefab unit whether its used or new. There are time when I get lucky and someone else's is throwing away something that I can repurpose into a project. Granted some projects are custom and have to be made from scratch.

Excellent.  I can never seem to do things with items intended to be used for the purpose I am using them.  Example: I would probably mix mortar in a standard nursery tray.  Something broke between me ears.

Back