Shelf life for condiments with added peppers

I was wondering how long I can keep salsa or hot sauce that I added more fresh pureed peppers to? Do the peppers go bad before the expiry on the product?

chillilover said:
I was wondering how long I can keep salsa or hot sauce that I added more fresh pureed peppers to? Do the peppers go bad before the expiry on the product?

I have been associated with this subject in my career . Oxidation is #1 enemy of foods.Sunlight/bright light is another.
Foods with class! and class! preservatives like Sodium Meta Bi sulphite etc keep good fo one year (pickles, preserves sauces etc). But again, it depends upon for how long they are kept in closed condition without opening the lid.
Frequent opening of a jar/bottle containing sauces will spoil the goods inside faster because microbes are let in frequently.

Acidic foods like pickles keep good for a longer time.So also salted (more than average) pickles.

Hope this helps.

NJA

salsa keeps good in fridge for upto three to four months (I have personal experience) without any preservative but with careful handling. Fresh Peppers will not help extending expiery date. It is the preserving medium like oils, acids and salts that help preserving food.

No I didn;t think it would extend the date, I thought it might spoil way sooner like in a few weeks or so because peppers usually rot in a few weeks in the fridge.

That might happen, but if the product is acidic enough and refrigerated in a sealed container then it could last quite a while but that would work better in something like pickles rather than store-bought salsa which often has a short shelf life once opened.
You can also add more vinegar and re-process, or add peppers that are already pickled or even dried

Why not use the Italian way. Make sure that the top is always covered by a layer of olive oil, and you easily keep it for over a year, at room temp. What may happen is that the chopped chile turns a bit dark, black. To avoid this, wrap the jar in something that does not let light through.
My wife's favorite way of preparing chiles, in particular Amando: chop them fine, put in a jar and add a little of olive oil. Adding salt refines the taste but is not necessary.

Actually the oil method is old fashion and is usually unsafe due to the high risk of botulism. If you are going to can with any oil, make sure you do it properly or it could be deadly

Back