shipping plants

Nah man...I just use a box cutter and a bunch of duct tape. The main things to remember are to make some sort of soil keeper for the container and to ensure the container is fixed in place. The leaves will probably get beat up, but the plant will put on new ones. 

stc3248 said:
Nah man...I just use a box cutter and a bunch of duct tape. The main things to remember are to make some sort of soil keeper for the container and to ensure the container is fixed in place. The leaves will probably get beat up, but the plant will put on new ones. 
lol There's not much you can't do with a box cutter and duct tape!

Cardboard insert to hold soil down (duct tape in place).Wire cage made from heavy gauge bailing wire to protect plant (also duct tape to base). Either cardboard or bubble wrap wrapped around entire plant (also duct tape in place). Place in smallest box it will fit into and fill excess room with newspaper (no duct tape required here). Seal box (yes duct tape) and most importantly write "THIS SIDE UP". 

Proud Marine Dad said:
Does the department of agriculture allow plants to be shipped? Might want to look into the laws on that.
Depends on the state. Hawaii and California are a no, I believe. Not sure about which others, if any.
But thanks for the heads up

It's easier to get a permit to ship out of California then to get one to ship into California . Make sure you check your local Ag Laws as well as USDA / APHIS. Always do your homework first. Like everything else, the Golden State does not make anything easy. Arizona might be a much better place to apply for permits. That is why I will be retiring there before my State decides that all citizens should be disarmed. 

impending_bending said:
Does they actually observe this? Half the stuff I get looks like it was more rolled than carried to the doorstep
Thus the wire cage to give them a fighting chance.

SL3 said:
Arizona might be a much better place to apply for permits. That is why I will be retiring there before my State decides that all citizens should be disarmed. 
I'm no anti-gun guy, I have several and I'm particularly fond of my really big one :) But even I think AZ is a little f*cked with its gun laws. First they passed a law that you could bring guns into bars if you have a concealed carry permit (which I do). Then they passed a law saying you dont need a permit anymore for concealed weapons. The bar can ban guns, but the law here says anyone can conceal a gun hit the bars (unless a felon or the bar forbids it).
Don't get me started on some of the other ridiculous laws... What would have been a speeding ticket it CA just cost me $2000 here. I'd better stop before I rant more haha

impending_bending said:
I'm no anti-gun guy, I have several and I'm particularly fond of my really big one :) But even I think AZ is a little f*cked with its gun laws. First they passed a law that you could bring guns into bars if you have a concealed carry permit (which I do). Then they passed a law saying you dont need a permit anymore for concealed weapons. The bar can ban guns, but the law here says anyone can conceal a gun hit the bars (unless a felon or the bar forbids it).
Don't get me started on some of the other ridiculous laws... What would have been a speeding ticket it CA just cost me $2000 here. I'd better stop before I rant more haha
Yep lets remember that this is Growing Hot Peppers and not get off topic. I should have known better to even make that remark here, as there are so many strong opinions on the subject. Lets just say I really love Arizona and can't wait to start growing hot peppers out there. I'm a country boy at heart, and Its either Texas or Az. Kids and Grand kids are already in Az so that's where I'm headed.

Check with your local wholesale nursery. The wheel has already been invented tried and proven Nothing worse than a failed shipment.

small pot / solo cup,
saran wrap poke a hole for the plant to fit through the saran wrap, cover soil with it
put another cup on top, tape together.

pros: keeps plant safe, keeps soil from moving very much, keeps soil moist
cons: space, cost of 2nd container?

here's a professional rendering.(lol)
RicluI6.png

impending_bending said:
Just heard a truck pull up. Went to the peep hole and watched the UPS guy 'bowl' my new TDS meter up the walk. Gutter ball - it missed the door and bashed into the wall. that sob
Peep Hole? What do you live in the hood? lol, just messing with ya.

I would have been out there before he could set foot off his truck. I had my spice grinder tossed over my 6 foot fence by those guys, only to have my wife find it in the center of our road when she pulled in from work, the box smashed to smithereens. Good grinder though (Waring WSG30 commercial spice grindersurvived the Hell Mary throw and works great.

But if I so much as here my dogs go off, or hear those squeaky brakes, I'm out the front door and already meeting them half way up the drive. 

Expecting two new thermometers this weekend, I will be on stakeout and waiting.

SL3 said:
Yep lets remember that this is Growing Hot Peppers and not get off topic. I should have known better to even make that remark here, as there are so many strong opinions on the subject. Lets just say I really love Arizona and can't wait to start growing hot peppers out there. I'm a country boy at heart, and Its either Texas or Az. Kids and Grand kids are already in Az so that's where I'm headed.
Yeah, I almost chimed in. but too good a topic to completely dismiss. continued in the lounge.

Back