shipping Shipping Prices

How the heck are some of you able to get shipping down to the $5 range?
How are you getting prices of $9.99 for 10lbs or less?

Any advice or help with this would be amazing . . . .

I am pulling my hair out and going far more grey the last couple days than I should be, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me. 

Chalk it up to newbie status and the fact that I work my regular job 60 hours a week and put in another 40 or so doing this.

I just ordered about 40 pounds of spices and chiles, shipping was $5.  I know some merchants have some Insider pricing or something or as HEAT says, they just eat the difference.

Large bottles are hard to deal with.  I have several sauces in 10-12oz bottles.  They don't fit into SFRB, the nBBQ sauce weighs over 19 oz just by itself!  I don't sell a whole lot of single bottles because its about $9 shipping for a $7 bottle.  About the only way that works is for customers to order at least 4 bottles, then it can go in a MFRB. 

For your mixes, I just tried to fit a 750ml bottle into a MFRB and it's a tight fit.  It woudl definitely fit good in a LFRB, but then you're looking at $17 shipping, and depending on what they ordered, theyn would probably need to order 5-6 items to make it worthwhile.

For now, I concentrate sauce sales locally and ship Pure Evil all over.  It's lightweight enough that First Class shipping is <$3.  I can work that into the price so for the customer it's Free Shipping.

Not much of an answer, other than I feel Your Pain!

grantmichaels said:
I was about to say, $5 shipping typically means there's padding in the item prices ...
I don't know if you'd call it "padding" - I see it as "subsidizing" shipping.

If I charge $6.50 for a bottle of sauce and $5.50 for shipping customers are ok with it.

But if I charged $5.50 for a bottle and $6.50 fr shipping people would flip, even though that's closer to reality.

I do try to encourage larger orders so people get a better value on shipping.

There's legalities when it comes to that stuff too like you can't offer free shipping for two weeks but jack up the prices for those weeks to cover it, that's a scam, and more of "padding" so I can see why you have to be careful with words. There was a big Sears lawsuit, many years ago, where they had big sales, but incrementally marked the prices up until sale date, and the sale was the normal price lol.

He does tend to be quite lightning fast

grantmichaels said:

Feel free to improve my word choice as you see fit ...

There's 14k+ examples of my flying loose w/ the language =)
Well when I do my 3 hot sauces for the price of 2 and free shipping for the whole month of December there will be no "padding" or "subsidizing" just a good month of deals really.
The Hot Pepper said:
There's legalities when it comes to that stuff too like you can't offer free shipping for two weeks but jack up the prices for those weeks to cover it, that's a scam, and more of "padding" so I can see why you have to be careful with words. There was a big Sears lawsuit, many years ago, where they had big sales, but incrementally marked the prices up until sale date, and the sale was the normal price lol.

Burns and McCoy said:
He does tend to be quite lightning fast

Well when I do my 3 hot sauces for the price of 2 and free shipping for the whole month of December there will be no "padding" or "subsidizing" just a good month of deals really.
Right - that's the consumer expectation.

I've got my 4-pack gift boxes at $25.99 down from $35.99 shipped price.

And I was careful to display "original price" so people know that I didn't jack it up before the sale, or "pad" it.

That's why I was suggesting the correction to Grant - "padding" is a dishonest tactic and I wouldn't want anyone unfairly labelled as such.
grantmichaels said:

QFS - quoted for snark ...
Hmm - wasn't trying to be snarky. Perhaps we have different definitions there too.
juanitos said:
the padded envelope is 5$ still and it can fit a decent sized item( 8x11 more or less), just put lots of packing material in there ofc
The USPS flat-rate priority padded envelope $6.10 now.

I literally just got home from shipping 43 of them.
I can fit up to 5 bottles in one, though 4 is safer in terms of avoiding breakage.

Back