• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Shishito?What else?

Got these at the asian market. All I know is a chili from Japan called shishito. Is there a specific variety these are? Pretty cool looking
DSCN1749_zps225d33ca.jpg

DSCN1748_zpsc85f840b.jpg

Mostly a sweet Japanese pepper. Every once in a while they'll have a bit of heat, but never overwhelming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishito

Good for stir-fries, pickling and salads.

Basically no heat. Often we batter them for tempura. Very tasty, but you won't get any heat cooking with them.

Tempura them and sprinkle rock salt on them. Very nice

Sounds good. Im not a fan of the extremely thick skin. Almost has a plastic mouthfeel when raw. Getting ready to make some sushi at work. Sounds fitting

Eat them after the sushi. These peppers are a little bit bitter, you will spoil the delicate flavour of sushi if you eat those peppers before or during sushi

I acquired some Shishito seeds from some fresh fruit I purchased near Dallas, TX last year.

Despite numerous attempts, I have not yet been able to get any of those seeds to germinate.

I think the chiles where probably a bit on the immature side (typical of fresh produce), so the seeds may not be particuarly viable.

Agree with the others though... no real piquance... more of a sweet pepper... and I think "Shishito" roughly translates from Japanese to something akin to "Lion's Face" due to the unique shape of the pod.

Back