• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shiso, Thai+Italian Basil, Pepper+Mojito Mint, Lavendar, and Rosemary

So it's a little busy. But it's everything I have growing that isn't peppers. For now. :D

tentacular.jpg

The current interior of the grow tent. In the lower right you can just see the towel that lovingly ensconces my germinating seeds (which are freaking sprouting! More on that in another thread, probably next week!).

In the upper right, the Mojito Mint Twins: The peppermint (middle left in the seed tray, probably not visible) is taking for freaking ever, so we picked up a plant that was already doing well at a shop. My wife wanted mojitos anyway, so this works. Anyway, the first thing I did was, of course, take cuttings! I didn't realize how quickly they'd take; two days and they're rooting conspicuously. We're gonna have a lot of mint.

The best performer has clearly been the first shiso I planted, middle right. I did have to move him out of the light, since he can't take all 1000W, though everyone else seems quite happy with it (aside from his partner in the lower right, lavender, who also seems displeased with excessive illumination).

Center stage are the basils. The Thai basil is growing a lot faster and is conspicuously leggy, despite being right in the path of those LED headlights; pretty sure I'm going to top those soon, which is ridiculous considering how briefly they've been growing.

Lower left is rosemary, which sure does take its time, but doesn't seem bothered by anything at all.

In the back are some failed pot-up vessels waiting to be recycled. I figure in about ten years I can use them for the lazy-ass peppermint.

dragonsfire said:
Looking good, never had luck with lavender. 

I'd heard it was a pain, and I got really low germination rates, but this one seems to be doing OK without special treatment. A bit of a sunburn, and it's not exactly Usain Bolt in the growth department, but it hasn't complained too much.

I've been concentrating mostly on the peppers, but the herbs have made their own progress.

shiso-etc.jpg

The big shiso lost a bit of foliage, so he's a bit behind, but doing OK. His little brother is looking healthy. Rosemary on the far left and lavender next to him are slow going, but going none the less.

basil+mint.jpg

The mojito mint cuttings on the right seem to be doing pretty well. Not that I needed more mint, but I love cuttings! The peppermint is still comically small, but growing more quickly now that I potted it up a bit (not pictured here).

The Italian (left) and Thai (right) basil brothers are pretty OK. Direct light wasn't doing them any favors, so they're a bit off to the side... they're also just about rootbound, despite being freaking small. I'm planning on potting them, along with the shiso, in larger beds and moving them outside, likely next week.

The tent sure does smell nice, though.

The Thai Basil is to die for.  Not only is it the best tasting
and most aromatic, in my opinion, but the purple color
makes it a beautiful garden plant. My only problem is that
they produce more than we use when I grow them!

PaulG said:
The Thai Basil is to die for.  Not only is it the best tasting
and most aromatic, in my opinion, but the purple color
makes it a beautiful garden plant. My only problem is that
they produce more than we use when I grow them!
Haha, yep! They're already doing well outside; I'm sure we'll have a massive surplus.

Back