Should I add a heat pad

I'm just starting out and tried 11 different peppers (6 seeds each) to test .All were soaked overnite in water(I just read I should have done Different). After 2 weeks I'm still waiting on:

Fluorescent Purple
Butch "T"
Mini Bell
Peter Pepper

What has showed their leaves is:

Carolina Reaper-2
Atomic Starfish-2
Ghost-4
ScotchBonnet-1
Tazmanian Habanero-1
Prikchi Faa-2
Pasilla Bajio-2

They are outside in a growbox. Temps have been cooler at night (low 70's) in North Florida Highs mid to upper 80's.

Should I add a heat mat at night?

Also I see a little white stuff around edges, could that be mold/fungus?

Thanks for any suggestions as I'm learning

I am not sure about the fungus, I know I have used the search box at the top to search for keywords and it has helped me a lot.. :welcome:
There seems to be some very knowledgeable people here... :rolleyes:  haha..j/k

I have gained much useful info here...Hope you enjoy your stay.

No, you don't need a heat mat if you live in FL, yes the white is mold/fungus,
You can put a little fan on em like I do to help prevent it. The only thing about that is that it causes the soil/pellets to dry out faster.

You can immediately kill the fungus with a 1:10 hydrogen peroxide to water solution sprayed on it.

Once your growing medium is initially wetted down good, which it probably was long ago in addition to a fan to keep surface moisture lower you could try bottom watering by having them in a shallow pan of water (assuming holes in the bottom of the pots they're in and soil that wicks moisture well) BUT if you have a mosquito problem there be sure to cover the water as much as you can so they don't spawn new skeeters in it.

A heat mat at night, placed so they don't get above 90F may speed up germination a little but by a little I mean only a small # of days so it doesn't really seem worth the bother.  Some just take longer than two weeks, especially if it is old seed.

Dave2000 said:
You can immediately kill the fungus with a 1:10 hydrogen peroxide to water solution sprayed on it.

Once your growing medium is initially wetted down good, which it probably was long ago in addition to a fan to keep surface moisture lower you could try bottom watering by having them in a shallow pan of water (assuming holes in the bottom of the pots they're in and soil that wicks moisture well) BUT if you have a mosquito problem there be sure to cover the water as much as you can so they don't spawn new skeeters in it.

A heat mat at night, placed so they don't get above 90F may speed up germination a little but by a little I mean only a small # of days so it doesn't really seem worth the bother.  Some just take longer than two weeks, especially if it is old seed.
Thanks will try the HP, and maybe just use pad on these cool nights. I bought seeds this month from a reputable company, so should be freah. Will wait another week then I'm gonna plant some more a little differently.

Lots of things can damage seeds.  Last year I received some that were apparently killed by sitting in a hot metal mailbox for too long... not mine, the gal dropped them off in a USPS blue mailbox where they baked in the sun till the next pickup.

Back