• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Should I be concerned brown leaf edges?

So I'm new to growing peppers and I'm a little familiar with hydroponics. Don't want to be too dry but I'd like to give all the info. Worried about the brown edges on the leaves.

Seeded them in rockwool with PH adjusted water on Jan 30, 2020. All, except the reapers, sprouted within 2-3 weeks. All were in humidity dome with heating pad set to 80F and put by window for soft natural light.

Then I transferred them to my grow closet same everything except used an old fluorescent light that wasn't very powerful for a week or so until my new light arrived.

So for a week and a half they've been under a regular warehouse LED light 5000K with dimmer and adjusted the light using a PAR Meter. I set the lights to 185 micro moles above the leaves while they were in the dome. Opened the dome vents and put a fan in the room. Leaves started to brown a little over a week ago. Then I moved them out of the dome and put a fan on them and nothing has changed. I mean they seem to be growing slowly, but still have those brown edges. Also a week ago I started watering them with a weak solution of General Hydro's 3 part solution. I did a 250PPM solution.

I think they might just be over watered as the rockwool doesn't seem to drying out even with the fan on it. Just today it seems they lost a little moisture, but the rockwool is still very moist.

Room is temp controlled at 78F and 32% RH. Humidity is not controlled. Inside the dome it's of course about 80F and 85% RH, but they're not in there anymore.

It's either over watering or nutrient burn, I would think. Any comments?

Maybe the damage has stopped, but it doesn't get rid of the brown? It just stays until the leaves get much bigger??

IMG_0477.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

I don't think it's either over-watering or nutrient burn - each of those looks different.  I don't think you have anything to be concerned about, either, as the issue is with the cotyledons, not the newly grown true leaves.  My guess is a (very) minor environmental issue involving the transition from more humid to less humid conditions or increased light intensity.

Really though, there's no apparent problem here at all that I see. Instead of focusing on the leaves with minor damage that won't recover; focus on the quality of the newer growth which looks good.

Sweet! Thank you very much!!! I feel much better.

Bought a flat of Habaneros yesterday at the produce terminal to start some fermented hot sauce. I want to practice on something I didn't grow before using my precious babies.

Also, my Reapers haven't sprouted yet. Two are from Jan 30, 2020 and were cheap seeds I got off amazon. Then I bought some from Pepper Joes and planted those on Feb 14. Hopefully they'll sprout soon. I just turned up the heating mat temp to 85F as I read Reapers need heat.

CaneDog said:
I don't think it's either over-watering or nutrient burn - each of those looks different.  I don't think you have anything to be concerned about, either, as the issue is with the cotyledons, not the newly grown true leaves.  My guess is a (very) minor environmental issue involving the transition from more humid to less humid conditions or increased light intensity.

Really though, there's no apparent problem here at all that I see. Instead of focusing on the leaves with minor damage that won't recover; focus on the quality of the newer growth which looks good. Second that motion!

I totally agree. Just looks like a little minor
light burn or humidity issue. Certainly not
something to be too concerned about.

Actually, peppers are very resilient plants,
and quite adaptable within reason. Decent
care will produce good plants 95% of the
time.

Cool. I just transplanted them into the hydroponic system. Maybe a bit too young, but the roots are showing out the bottom. Added more light 300 micromoles, a little more nutrient concentration around 350PPM.

So I transplanted yesterday and took pics to make sure of any problems weren't just from memory. Today the slow starters of the group, the scotch bonnets, have crinkly / wrinkled leaves. I looked the pics from yesterday and noticed they were wrinkled then as well.

In my notes I wrote that wrinkled leaves could be from not enough light or calcium deficiency. Or maybe could just be this species (Scotch Bonnets). What do you people think? It's using the same nutrients as the all the other and the others look fine and I increased the light yesterday.

Here's my formula for nutrients in case anyone wants to know.

10 Gallons of R/O water
Mix 10ml CalMag, wait a couple of minutes to incorporate.
Mix 20ml General Hydroponics Micro
Mix 40ml GH Gro
Mix 20ml GH Bloom
PH Correct to 5.6

PPM minus water PPM is 357.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 100
Scotch bonnet leaves will often look bubbly, wrinkled and droopy/melted. It's not uncommon for many of them and not a concern. Those leaves are showing a (very) little cupping or canoeing, but nothing to be concerned about unless it got a bunch worse.  Sprouts can tend to do dorky things from time to time, but usually just grow out of it.  Your plants have looked good to me. 

Have you checked your pH the following day?  I wonder if you might be getting some rebound.

Glad to see more pics of what you're growing and continued good luck with your grow!

Excellent, thanks for putting me as ease. I just started so there's not much going on, but here's the whole setup in a spare (yeah right spare, the others closets in the house are not happy) closet. I'm doing a hydro spray setup where there are sprayers constantly spraying the bottoms of the net pots, also aerating the water with 2 air stones as I already had an old air pump from when I did hydro 15 years ago. 325 Watt LED 5000K High Bay Warehouse Light with Dimmer. Storage Bin from Lowes, Rio Submersible Pump and PVC Pipe for the spray system and screw in drip irrigation sprayers from Lowes.

Tools I'm using:
Hanna PH Meter
Hanna PPM Meter
Hydro Farm PAR Meter
General Hydroponics Flora Series Nutes
CalMag
R/O Water System from Amazon, not bad for $140 Bucks.
Personal Box Heater for Temp Control of the Room
Cheap Oscillating Fan from Amazon that I drilled into the base to mount on the wall.
iPower Dual Stage Temp Controller - Works fine, but programming is confusing as the manual is.
Inkbird Dual Stage Temp Controller - Much better instructions and easier to work with and more variables you can set. I bought one of each to see which one was better. Inkbird is the way to go. I have a bunch of Professional Ranco ETCs, but didn't want to use them for this setup as they are over kill.

Canedog, good call on the PH, yeah it was 6.5!

Is it OK to adjust PH everyday if it's off?

Also, I'm at 300 umol of light right now, when should I blast them with 500 umol as suggested for veg state?

Attachments

• IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 89
I like the Inkbird too.  It's been my goto for seed starting after buying it for the dual heat/cool capabilities for brewing fermentations. 

Yeah, I'd adjust the pH whenever it gets out of the general range. Also, mixing up the solution and then re-adjusting 24 hours later before deploying is another way you might help keep it in a tighter range.

I'll punt on the mols.  I tend to watch and adjust more than targeting specific numbers.  Plus different varieties at different stages seem to like different light intensity.

Setup looks awesome!  I'm sure those guys will be growing like crazy soon.

Ok so an update.

1. On the first pic, the cayenne, does anyone know what the mottling on the leaves is? It's only on a set of leaves. BTW I just topped it last night. Those leaves looked normal.
2. Fourth Pic, the Ghost Pepper doesn't look too healthy. IRL, it's kind of pale. The second pic of the orange habanero is also pale.

I'm using 500 micro moles of 5000K light and a PH of 6, which I'm checking and adjusting everyday, 80-83 Fahrenheit, 70 Fahrenheit Solution Via an Aquarium Chiller, R/O water for the solution and a solution recipe from General Hydroponics. The solution is about 75% strength of what GH recommends and right now is at 725 PPM.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking they should be growing faster and be darker green. I guess my options are more light, more humidity as its' only 24%, higher or lower concentration of nutrients?

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 91
I ordered a humidifier so we'll see if that helps.

I think I might know the problem. I'm doing aeroponics and that relies upon the roots being in the open air and getting oxygen. Well I originally had the rockwool I started the seeds in, in the net pots and the roots were about an inch out of the rockwool. Well I needed to put some covers on the net pots so algae wouldn't develop on the rockwool. Well I cut up some rockwool to raise the plants stalk up so I can cover it.

Well I just realized on the plants that look bad, the roots haven't broken through the new rockwool on the bottom of the net pots. Therefore I think it's just being over watered.

Back