• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Should I pick them or leave?

I have a Thai and explosive ember plant with about 50 peppers on each. I was wondering what will give me more peppers. Should I pick them all now, unripe and get another crop to let ripen before frost or leave these till ripe and then pick. I have about 3 months until frost.

You know what you have, you don't know what you will get.

I would leave the chiles you have to ripen because I'm a pessimist. Also I don't like unripe chiles;)

I'd leave them and then before the next frost pick any that may have formed by then. Most peppers seem to be on a continuous cycle of having a mixture of ripe / unripe pods until the frost hits them. Of course you could also overwinter them, or grow them in containers if you truly wanted to extend your growing season.

Ever since I have seen ripe and unripe talk, I keep thinking about last year. My friend was growing cayennes and jalapenos and every time we would pick green cayennes off the plant they would turn red on their own after words. So why is that and does it mean they are still mature?

chillilover said:
I have a Thai and explosive ember plant with about 50 peppers on each. I was wondering what will give me more peppers. Should I pick them all now, unripe and get another crop to let ripen before frost or leave these till ripe and then pick. I have about 3 months until frost.

Pick em ripe; a pod on the plant is worth 10+ flowers. ;)

Back