Should I pot these up NOW ?

Should I pot these up into say 1 gallon pots? They are in 4 inch pots and I'm not sure when to pot up? The first 4 are about 40 days old since seed the second 4 are about 3ish weeks or so old but are off and running.

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

How do the roots look? If they are getting root bound then pot up, otherwise keep em in there until you need to move. Unless, you just really wanna move em. I just think that you want them to establish a good root ball along each stop. Start from a tray/plug, move em up to a bigger pot, let em mature, then move em up again.

i would check on the roots, if the roots have colonized the whole square then yes pot up, if not let them go till that happens, then pot up to whatever size pot you want. some people put them into their final home some gradually go up. i personally would go to a 1-3 gallon and then once the last freeze is over go into the ground or into the final pot!

I suggest potting up. You are at the same stage I was when I potted up. You should have a good root ball going now, if you used a light soil with good drainage.

i would check on the roots, if the roots have colonized the whole square then yes pot up, if not let them go till that happens, then pot up to whatever size pot you want. some people put them into their final home some gradually go up. i personally would go to a 1-3 gallon and then once the last freeze is over go into the ground or into the final pot!

How do you know if there is good root ball??

How do you know if there is good root ball??

You have to look at the roots of your plants. If your roots are wrapping around your potting soil and pretty much holding your potting mix together when you take the plant out of the trey/cup/ or pot it's in, then your plants have good root ball.
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPo6fnR8gvLDK8i_6O1CJZZfyYlFC9FxK2ovk9vRWMy0F3a8q5uQ

the couple of smaller one you have you can prob wait another 4-5 days if you want before you pot up

So I need to pull the plant out just to check the roots ?

I wouldn't disturb the roots of the plant until you are ready to pot them up. I would definitely not pull them up from the stem.

Do the 4 inch pods have drainage holes?

The rule of thumb I go by these days is to pot up from 10 cm pots once the plants have produced 6 true leaves. When it comes to the time to transplant them I place a couple of fingers either side of the main stem ot hold the potting mix in place and invert the pot.

I recommend just taking the big ones out of the seedling trey. when you have the plant in your hand look at the roots! Let me find a good pic for you!

I recommend just taking the big ones out of the seedling trey. when you have the plant in your hand look at the roots! Let me find a good pic for you!

heres a pic for you http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/bakerspeppers/Grow%20box%20build/IMAG1079.jpg

Only these aren't in seedling trays. Because I'm a rookie I put em in 4 inch pots as soon as they came up ( I know better now ) but I think I get the gist look through the holes if I see roots pot em up?All but those fast growing Jalapeños have 6 leaves. Those Jalapeños were the best looking seeds I have ever seen! They came from a store bought pepper it was a monster and fully red. They sprouted in 2-3 days!

You dont ever want to PULL them up. Take the pot, cup one hand over the top of the pot with the stalk through your fingers, GENTLY squeeze on the sides of the pot all around until the soil comes loose from the pot. You are not trying to break the shape that the soil is in, just trying to get it loose from the pot. The plant and soil/roots should now slide into your cupped hand. Take a look at it to see how the roots look. If you have a question of if its rootbound post a pic. You should have some roots running the edges. It should NOT be a big spiral of roots though.

4inch pot and plants on, what, their third set of leaves? Id be willing to bet you are not ready yet.

Back