• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should I remove new flowers to improve fruit growth?

Hi,
lately my Habanero plant has been growing absolutely crazy, pretty much doubling in volume and growing flowers e v e r y w h e r e and they mostly became fruits which is obviously pretty darn nice.
Now the thing is, it's pretty late into the season (northern germany, close to the north sea so we get a lot of wind, rain and not that much sunny weather here) and I'm a little afraid the plant is prioritizing flowering over letting the fruits that are there grow/ripen properly.

At this rate, i feel like I might get a bunch of tiny, barely ripe habanero chilis if I don't intervene, is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

donuttt said:
At this rate, i feel like I might get a bunch of tiny, barely ripe habanero chilis if I don't intervene, is that correct?

I can't speak for anyone else but I do. My killing frost is around mid-late Oct. so I start pulling flowers in early Sept as I will not get ripe fruit from these.

This is exactly the answer i was looking for, thank you very much!
I just removed like 30 flowers and i can still see a lot of buds coming.
I guess your advice came just in time :D

Cooler temps will definitely kick start blooming and growth, overall.  I don't know if you'll really do any good by removing them.  If the plant is utilizing its resources effectively enough to grow and bud at an increased rate, it's arguable whether or not it will do any good to pull excess buds.  But, at the very least, you won't have to witness any abortions.  So the call is yours to make.

Back