Should I stake this?

I noticed a long time ago that the main stem fell over a little, but I never bothered to stake it.  Is the bent condition causing the plant any problems.  At first I thought that the growth was stunted as the plant is shorter than its parent was at the same age, but it is either an unstable F2, or an unstable F2 crossed with something, AND I am fertilizing this much less than its parent.  The plant looks OK and I already have a developing pod:

Should I stake this?

I am a little worried because the way that everything is now, if I put a stick into the soil to tie it to the main stem, the stick (or whatever I put it in) will cut through some roots on the way down.

Stake it, the roots will fix themselves. I wouldn't say it needs it per se, but it would help with worrying if it's gonna fall.

Yup stake it, I've had plants break like that and it really pissed me off. So staking them is good to just be safe. Try spraying some aspirin water on the exposed area that broke. one 325 mg tablet per gallon of water. Spray it on the broke area and just all over the leaves as a foliar spray. 

geeme said:
If you feel the need to ask, you probably already know the answer! ;)

You make a good point.  I was praying that I didn't have to.  I need to pick up some twist ties.  I didn't want to stake because the stem is very thick - When I stake seedlings, I use pens as stakes, but I'll need something sturdier for this.  Any ideas (silverware?) or do I really, really need to buy actual stakes for my indoor bucket grow?

Justaguy said:
Go for a walk and find a tree branch.
I don't think I would do this except in an emergency and for temporary use only. Who knows what kinds of parasites/fungus/etc might be living on or in a wild stick.

I usually pick up some dowel rods at the hardware store. They come in various thicknesses and they're about a yard long, so work for taller plants and can be cut as needed for smaller plants. I never cut them, though. I do reuse them from year to year. I put 3 inside the outer perimeter of each pot and use twine to fasten them to the stalks instead of twist ties. Think of a three-legged stool - they're pretty stable this way, regardless of which way the wind blows.

dragon49 said:
Should I stake this?

If you're afraid your plant has turned into a vampire you sould stake it with a hawthorn stick and behead it.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist  :P )

Seriously, stake it before it becomes too heavy with peppers.

Back