• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Should I use a heat mat for cold plants?

HI

I've been growing plants from seeds in the last month also I've bought some "plug" plants which I have in slightly larger pots. They all exist indoors currently under a cheap LED light and have been doing ok at 19-25c temps but I've got some colder weather coming.

Will the plants be happier sat on a heat mat or will this cause issues thanks

Hi...I would certainly entertain the seed mat under your seedlings ..Heat mats have one basic function which is to gently warm the soil, thus promoting faster germination and strong, healthy seedlings,and if you can come up with a thermostat that would be super /ideal.
Check the soil moisture daily. Warm soil dries out faster than cool, damp soil.As room temps increase decrease or eliminate mat.
I have of these numbers and it works great..keep an eye on the seedlings in the first few days & make changes as necessary.
Good luck :P

1641177115972.png

Last edited:
Hi...I would certainly entertain the seed mat under your seedlings ..Heat mats have one basic function which is to gently warm the soil, thus promoting faster germination and strong, healthy seedlings,and if you can come up with a thermostat that would be super /ideal.
Check the soil moisture daily. Warm soil dries out faster than cool, damp soil.As room temps increase decrease or eliminate mat.
I have of these numbers and it works great..keep an eye on the seedlings in the first few days & make changes as necessary.
Good luck & Happy New year.....Sandy:P

1641177115972.png
Thanks for the report. I actually have one of those in my Amazon cart now but hadn't pulled the trigger.

Easy on the newbie there. Cheers means Thanks across the pond.

I've always had good luck with heat mats. I grow my starters in the basement, which is very stable around 20C, and the heat mats always make a big difference.

I think the only likely issue is just that it might be pointless. If they're in large pots the heating mat might be too little heat to affect the soil temperature.

On this subject, what's the optimum temperature to set the mat at for seedlings? I've read varying information that states anything from 18 to 25 degrees Celsius (64 to 77 Fahrenheit), which is quite a big range.

I had mine going at 25C to 27C - the little seeds loved it and germinated really quickly.
But be careful the compost dries out very fast and the seedlings can get leggy.
Some experts say take them out soon as they show and others say leave them in until you get 2nd set of leaves.

I had mine going at 25C to 27C - the little seeds loved it and germinated really quickly.
But be careful the compost dries out very fast and the seedlings can get leggy.
Some experts say take them out soon as they show and others say leave them in until you get 2nd set of leaves.
Sorry, I meant young plants that you've already pricked out, not germinating seeds themselves.

What I do is.. once their in anything bigger than a 15cm x 15cm (6in x 6in) pot, take the heat mat away. There will be too much media between the roots, and the mat for any heat to penetrate. If you're growing indoors, find a warm spot/ room, or a grow tent. If growing outdoors, let the plant do its thing.

Back