• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Should Seedling be bigger?

Hey guys, I just have been looking around the forum and everyone elses seedlings seem to be bearing more leaves and larger stems than mine. Maybe its just an age difference? Here is the link to my Naga Bhut Jolokia Seedling, It is about 2-3 weeks old. Do you think it should be bearing more leaves or bigger? Its just starting to develop its Third set of leaves. I know it will be fine, I was just wondering. Thanks guys.

http://s333.beta.photobucket.com/user/jac98/media/NagaBhutJolokiaSeedling_zps09619805.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/jac98/media/NagaBhutJolokiaSeedling_zps09619805.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=135613994016904523438014727638

Different varieties mature at different rates, plus environmental factors (light, temperature, food) impact the growth and development rate, as well as age. Year before last I started way too many plants (for me) and kept them fairly cool so they would not develop very quickly, as I did not have room in the house for that many big plants. Without knowing the varieties, age, and environmental factors of the plants you've been looking at, it's hard to do any type of comparison. But yes, a lot of us start seeds at different times of the year, depending upon how early in the year we can (or can't) plant outside. Don't worry about other plants you see, just focus on your own and your personal needs.

That said, the surface of the soil that plant is in appears to be too wet. Peppers tend to like semi-dry conditions - moist but not wet. Also, if you allow the surface to get wet, especially too long, a fungus commonly called damping-off can occur, which will kill your plant. To prevent this, only bottom-water, ensuring the water doesn't reach the surface, but still let the soil get somewhat dry before watering again. Another thing you can do is to periodically spray the surface of the soil with hydrogen peroxide. Pay attention to the appearance of the surface of the soil - if it starts to change, scrape off the surface layer and spray with hydrogen peroxide - you might be able to stop it before it gets too far. You should know that while smaller plants are more prone to damping off, it can kill larger plants, too.

Back