Should this bulb have blown?

I used their online form, explaining the situation and asking them if I was entitled to a replacement. I bought it from Amazon and am sure I never filled out any warranty card, whether paper or online. We'll see what Hydrofarm has to say. I have a single bulb T-5 from a smaller, older hydrofarm unit. That bulb has be on for at least 11,000 hours and is still good. That's why I thought the burn out was unusual.

Did all the bulbs blow-stop working?
Sounds like a ballast failure to me.
Ballasts last years when using the right tubes.

I'd hassle the supplier.
You got a Lemon if the balast went out.
Bulbs should have gone out 1 by 1 ,got dark ends and dimmer as they aged.
Shouldn't have all went out at once...

X hours only means they get dimmer at X hours they are rated at.
They shouldn't ALL go out at the same time except for a ballast failure.
In general,with the right bulbs,ballasts last a LOT longer than several years worth of tubes.

The ballast is fine.  The other three bulbs work without issues.  The individual slot is fine as I swapped bulbs and another bulb will light up in it, but the blown bulb will not light in any other slots.  The blown bulb has a black spot on one end, just off the edge a little less than 3/4 of an inch long.  It lights up if I put it in the slot, but just a tiny tiny bit.  Hydrofarm got back to me yesterday.  I answered their questions about my shipping address, purchase origin, purchase date and I sent them a copy of the invoice.  I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Great customer service from Hydrofarm!  I inquired about getting one bulb replaced, however they shipped my four bulbs!  I'm not sure if they intended to be that nice, or if somebody misunderstood the original request - Either way it is pretty cool!

Now I have 15,000 potential extra lumens, but no ballast to put them in.  Dilemmas Dilemmas!!

I have 2 of their white fixtures. I love them. Best I have seen for T-5 setups.

The bulb should not have died that fast. I use a lux meter to measure my lighting new, and then every month. You can slowly see the intensity diminish. I would change my grow bulbs every year. I will move them to my general shop lights. I run my large fixture 18 hours a day. That is 6,570 hours a year. They are still good for shop lighting and still seem bright.

Back