• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Show me your winter/frozen stash

I have a 4 gallon ziplocks of mixed pods left......I had 7 but just used 3 bags for starting a couple ferments.
IMG_2085.jpg

I have a 40 lb. pink banana squash that will be cut, seeded, and baked today. Had to buy this one as the voles/field mice ate 6 of my winter squash from the bottom, which left me with only shells.

I'll give away at least half of it when cut into pieces, save the seeds for the community gardeners, then mash the cooked stuff and freeze in containers.

Depending on how the seeds look, I may have plenty to give away if anyone might be interested. They were grown locally.

Wow winland...that is a serious litle stash you got going on. :dance:  :dance: 

Comptine said:
Do you freeze them whole? Do they normally end up as a sauce or in cooking? 

I froze them whole.  I plan to use them in mostly in sauces.  I need to experiment more in fermenting over the winter. 

Sometimes I take them out just to look at the colors and cheer up a day.

I was also curious as to how others organize by color, heat or to just keep them from going bad on the counter....which is pretty much what I did.

Nice color Sizzle and a heck of a stash winland!  

The only stash I have was turned into sauce, dried pods and powder. I don't have any frozen pods. I will have some choc fatali ripening in a couple of weeks that I will be turning into powder.

Here is my freezer ATM, prepped for the off season. Rocoto, Aji Limo, Aji Amarillo, roasted NM green Chile, and Aji Lemon Drop/Pineapple/Limon. I have powder for all of these, plus at least 10 other varieties of other pods I grew this year, but I need to have these fresh for certain dishes. Aji Limo for ceviche, NM green chile for chile relleno and enchiladas, Rocoto for Rocoto relleno and crema de Rocoto, Aji Amarillo for aji de gallina and papa a la huancaina, and the yellow citrusy baccatums for stir fries.

I also have a zippy full of peach trinidad scorpions and trinidad small cherries on the side door of my freezer to make dipping sauces for asian food. My wife loves those peppers mixed with fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar.

Attachments

• 20151109_202708.jpg
    20151109_202708.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 47
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Here is my freezer ATM, prepped for the off season. Rocoto, Aji Limo, Aji Amarillo, roasted NM green Chile, and Aji Lemon Drop/Pineapple/Limon. I have powder for all of these, plus at least 10 other varieties of other pods I grew this year, but I need to have these fresh for certain dishes. Aji Limo for ceviche, NM green chile for chile relleno and enchiladas, Rocoto for Rocoto relleno and crema de Rocoto, Aji Amarillo for aji de gallina and papa a la huancaina, and the yellow citrusy baccatums for stir fries.

I also have a zippy full of peach trinidad scorpions and trinidad small cherries on the side door of my freezer to make dipping sauces for asian food. My wife loves those peppers mixed with fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar.

The papa a la huancaina and de gallina sound very interesting.  I have aji limon, mango, pineapple and Amarillo seeds for next season.  I have only grown limons and have tasted mango.  Can any of these be used in the paste or are the Amarillos that much different for the dish?  What cheese do you prefer?  I have a bunch of limons in the freezer and might try them for the sauce.

For aji de gallina I use either a fresh pasta de aji amarillo, or I blend 4 aji amarillo with chicken stock and a little bit of milk. Once it is liquified I blend in pieces of bread to thicken it up, then stew the sauce with the shredded chicken for 30 minutes or so.

For papa a la huancaina sauce I use either freshly made pasta de aji amarillo, or I blend 3 aji amarillo with evaporated milk, queso fresco, 4 saltine crackers, one spoonful of chopped garlic, and olive oil.

My wife was not too pleased with the number of pepper bags that have accumulated in the freezer this year so I removed half of them and made sauce  :cool:  

That should make her happy... at least until she opens the fridge door and sees 24 new hot sauce bottles in there.   :dance:  

pepperbotxx.jpg

Back