• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid * * Show off your Crosses & Off pheno's of 2015 * *

Now that 2015 has concluded I have to say that some of the members new creations and garden surprises where AMAZING.  

I'm putting out a call to all the THP members to post some of there amazing crosses and Off Pheno's ...

​Post a photo and tell us what it is.. If you know =D ...

The one cross I am interested in growing out:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52806-alkhall-2015/?p=1227843

As I have mentioned, this is an accidental cross.

In 2014, I obtained seeds that were supposed to be King Naga, but this one plant grew out looking mostly like Yellow 7-Pot, but not quite. It was growing right next to what was supposed to be a Red Large Scorpion plant, and although the pods were the correct size shape, etc., they were dark brown.

I saved seed from a couple of the yellow pods, of which I sprouted three plants this last season. Two grew out yellow pods, both of which produced a wide variety of pod size and shape. The third grew the pods pictured above.

Also, while every variety (see my 2015 glog) in my garden produced significant amounts of pods all summer, only this plant and the King Naga plant made very few pods until late September, when they really started to produce.

Here's one I will be attempting to stabilize this year. Was supposed to be a Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw. Pods start off dark purple then fade to green, then orange and finally red. Puts out some pretty wild pod shapes too.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/56635-jigsaw/?hl=jigsaw

Late season pods show all colors at the same time:
24067493121_9d26e4c800_k_d.jpg

alkhall said:
The one cross I am interested in growing out:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52806-alkhall-2015/page-7#entry1227843

As I have mentioned, this is an accidental cross.

In 2014, I obtained seeds that were supposed to be King Naga, but this one plant grew out looking mostly like Yellow 7-Pot, but not quite. It was growing right next to what was supposed to be a Red Large Scorpion plant, and although the pods were the correct size shape, etc., they were dark brown.

I saved seed from a couple of the yellow pods, of which I sprouted three plants this last season. Two grew out yellow pods, both of which produced a wide variety of pod size and shape. The third grew the pods pictured above.

Also, while every variety (see my 2015 glog) in my garden produced significant amounts of pods all summer, only this plant and the King Naga plant made very few pods until late September, when they really started to produce.

That variance from Rough MOA scotch bonnet looking to shiny smooth scorpion looking pods on the same plant is crazy .. Like it a lot =D

Big Kahuna said:
Here's one I will be attempting to stabilize this year. Was supposed to be a Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw. Pods start off dark purple then fade to green, then orange and finally red. Puts out some pretty wild pod shapes too.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/56635-jigsaw/?hl=jigsaw

Late season pods show all colors at the same time:
24067493121_9d26e4c800_k_d.jpg

If that didn't have Pimenta De Neyde in it I would be shocked ..Those black stems are intense... This pods future has potential =) 

The_DoGMaN said:
I'm really interested to see how my F2 Choc bhut x el jefe jalapenos turn out.  The F1 fruit was awesome.

CPMzEMnWUAEBlK4.jpg

CPCIarxWUAAdgng.jpg

CPCIawCW8AIyUSv.jpg

CPCIZkOWUAAQe7o.jpg

[edit]Added pictures.

How good are Jalapeno crosses.. =D I have several plans this year for them, had a bad run on crossing them last year...

This was supposed to be 7pot yellow brain strain. One plant grew true other plant threw these pods... tasted like maybe it was a bell cross. Of course this was the plant I had used as a mother for my own cross project. Had pollinated several flowers before I seen what the pods looked like. I had pollinated it with butch T yellow. 

I went ahead and saved the resulting seeds any how and am currently growing it out

Here is the f1 as it stands

Also just getting pods on my Carbonero X Butch T Yellow f1

KrakenPeppers said:

That variance from Rough MOA scotch bonnet looking to shiny smooth scorpion looking pods on the same plant is crazy .. Like it a lot =D

<SNIP>

I was wondering about your reply, until I clicked my link. You were commenting on the pic in the post above the one I was linking to (the Brown Large Scorpion cross). Yes, really wide variation in pods on that one.

I did save seeds from several of the pods from the Yellow #2 plant. I might have to grow some to see what I get for F2.

The_DoGMaN said:
I'm really interested to see how my F2 Choc bhut x el jefe jalapenos turn out.  The F1 fruit was awesome.

CPMzEMnWUAEBlK4.jpg

CPCIarxWUAAdgng.jpg

CPCIawCW8AIyUSv.jpg

CPCIZkOWUAAQe7o.jpg

[edit]Added pictures.
nice looking pod! How was the flavor profile and heat? Very good job bro!

KrakenPeppers said:
D3monic: Those BS x ? Look so tasety, where they fairly thick walled?

Thicker than a bhut but not as thick as a jalapeno. Fairly thin though,  very juicy, up front floral citrus taste with bell afternotes. punch in the balls heat that came and went quickly... lemme see if I can find any cut open pics. Curious to see how it turns out this year being crossed again but now with butch t yellow. Obviously highly unstable at this point with the 3 sets of genetics. 

Very bright red though

Can kind of see wall thickness here on one a bird got into 

no sliced pics from what I can see, ^ that one was crossed with aji limon but seeds where no good because the damn bird

Lovepeppers said:
nice looking pod! How was the flavor profile and heat? Very good job bro!
It turned out very nice.  The flavour was really nice.  It lost a lot of the grassy flavour of the jalapeno and has a sweet more earthy flavour like the choc bhut.  Heat is good seems to have split the difference between the two types.  Has a nice medium thick flesh like a jalapeno.  Still very early though so we'll see what the F2 brings.

D3monic said:

is it a known cross or something that just popped up? looks like it would be tasty. 
it a was a surprise for a friend of mine. but he didn't want to continue it. it is tasty, its about as hot as I want to eat off the vine while I'm in the garden. most of them are between a really hot cayenne and a hab for heat. a quick heat. every now and then I get one that hits harder than that. planning to cross it with either a jalapeno or a bleeding calyx variety this year. or maybe both. would love to get a hotter pepper with some corking.

Chocolate Scorpion X unknown.
Seed source was from Ed "Chocolate Scorpion" one out of four plants produced pods like this. Pods not as hot as a super hot, maybe a tad hotter than habish heat. To me, it had a very slight jalapeño taste with not much floralness. About 70 percent of the pods came out like the picture above, 30 percent were not as squishy looking. I will be growing an F2 this year.

Lovepeppers said:

Chocolate Scorpion X unknown.
Seed source was from Ed "Chocolate Scorpion" one out of four plants produced pods like this. Pods not as hot as a super hot, maybe a tad hotter than habish heat. To me, it had a very slight jalapeño taste with not much floralness. About 70 percent of the pods came out like the picture above, 30 percent were not as squishy looking. I will be growing an F2 this year.

Cool looking pepper.

Well picture is pretty self explanatory, I included a Trinidad Red Congo pepper at bottom of picture just to show the parentage.  2016 the pepper will hit F2 and I will be excited to see if they remain stable, it has the initial sweetness of the 7 pot orange and then you get the smokey highlights from the Red Congo.  I havent had it tested but the people that tried it including myself think the pepper is One Million plus SHU, probably around a Ghost Pepper. 

I may be biased as I think its an awesome pepper!  :D

11934511_17pot_x_red_congo4.jpg

Back