misc Shrink band technique

Hi, I'm using an heat gun to put shrink bands but it take some time and I wounder if there a better technique?

I would not advocate using boiling water.  Just seems like it's asking for trouble to seal in water under the shrink band where it could get under the cap.  Just an opinion, if it works and you're comfortable with it, rock on~

I use a 1000 watt milwaulkee heat gun with the fan attachment.  The fan attachment is shown in this accessory kit.  Sometimes you can get the gun and accessories all in one set for ~$40.

I orient the fan attachment vertically so it makes a (focused? condensed?  not sure the right word... :lol:  ) vertical line of heat.  One quick spin of the bottle, 2 seconds...Done.

edit- I just actually looked at the price for the accessories.  $6.99 would be a good investment, I think you would notice significantly faster shrink wrapping.

Heat gun here.  Seen it done both ways and either works pretty well/consistently.  I share SL's reservation about a true seal w the boiling water method, which is why I bought the $20 heat gun.  It works fine.  Have also done the shrink bands with the wife's hair dryer - takes a lil longer but it does work.  

Note:  Don't let your wife catch you using her hair dryer on the shrink bands.  Doesn't end well.  ;)

I've had to use the hair dryer a couple times when the first heat gun crapped out and waiting for the replacement to arrive.  Definitely not the preferred method if doing any quantity, but it does work just fine. 

grantmichaels said:
I use one of these on heat shrink tubing to protect the drone electronics from the elements ... it makes SERIOUS heat ...

It's the same one I use for shrink banding.  Even on low heat it only takes a couple of passes.  Cost me like $20ish - have since used it to remove some less than appealing wall paper in the house = paid for itself many times over.   ;)

edit: the most perfect smores ever.

SmokenFire said:

It's the same one I use for shrink banding.  Even on low heat it only takes a couple of passes.  Cost me like $20ish - have since used it to remove some less than appealing wall paper in the house = paid for itself many times over.   ;)

edit: the most perfect smores ever.

I have done smores and pancetta and have also tightened up some sous vide grouper with it, LOL ...

Back