• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Siamese Twins / Conjoined Seedlings

Thought you guys might be interested in this. After germinating in cups, but before planting, one of my Datil seeds had 2 "tails". It's now sprouted and has a double-wide joined stem (its all one piece) and two sets of starting leaves. I had to help it out of the seed cap, but luckily it looks like it took no damage. Pics below,

2012-02-24_17-37-26_339.jpg

2012-02-24_17-37-45_463.jpg

Cool!
Be sure to keep posting this one!

Well I would think it needs some special considerations in order for it to be beneficial... It likely needs more soil - 2x the plants = 2x the roots, probably drinks 2x the water (but still doesn't like to be soaked), probably the cotyledons will fight for enough light, this could make one of them leggy.

assuming all of those are false, or acounted for, then yes I think that it could be quite beneficial. It already has double the diameter of most plants at that age (stronger), has the potential to absorb 2x the sun, could potentially have double the root system.... but I'm just talking off the top of my head, it may not be as complicated as all that.

I'm thinking it could have a very good root system. The cotyledon could be cut off it starts shooting for the light. If it doesn't, then you have twice the photosynthesis early on. You will also have more nodes. Seems good to me.

Edit: I want to try to get some of my plants to merge together (can't remember the name of this off the top of my head). That's similar to what you got. I want to do this for more nodes and branches.

Edit again: Ahh, what I want to do is called inosculation. I was reading about how this occurs in nature and thought I'd try it out on some of my extra peppers.

You might try googling approach grafting as well...

I am trying this with a few of my plants.

currently I have a scotch bonnet grafting onto an orange hab.

Back