• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sick Fatalii...

Little help IDing what is wrong with this plant...

first pic was about a month ago still healthy...
P1010224.jpg

Here it was this morning...it has faded from the top down. Initially I thought fusarium wilt, but that is supposed to start from the ground up. This is hitting from the top down. Photo with its neighbor a Chocolate Hab. A couple weeks ago the two looked almost identical with the fatalii actually being the more attractive of the two plants...
P1010467.jpg

And a few close ups so you can see the discoloration a little better...
P1010468.jpg

P1010469.jpg

PH is sitting at about 6.8 they have all been on the same water/nute schedule and in a raised bed with really good drainage. I have them on a drip system so the watering is exactly the same for all of them. Definitely sick...just don't know what?

Instead of taking any chances I decided to remove the poor little guy hoping I can keep whatever it is from spreading. I washed the roots and cut it back and repotted in a 2# in some happy frog...
P1010470.jpg

See how the lower growth looks less/unaffected? I threw the trimmings away and placed this guy away from the rest of the plants.

I have two other Fataliis going one in a 5# and the other in a different area of the garden, so it I loose it no biggie, which made the decision to remove it easier...The other two are happy and healthy. Anyone know what this is? My fear is that it came from the soil and I may loose the whole bed. I have dupes of all those except my one and only yellow 7.

Any help would be appreciated...
Shane

After a quick google, the yellow moves bottom to top, but the wilting moves top to bottom. In your pruning did you see anything like this:

Fusarium-Stem.jpg

The discoloration in the picture is caused by Fusarium.

A quick google search revealed that fungal wilts move from the bottom up, while bacterial wilt moves from the top down.

IF its fusarium, you likely have infected soil, seems to me that plant beside the sick fatalii is likely to get sick it self.

I agree, JCR, if it's a soil problem it's very localized.
You did the right thing, Shane.

Awesome work in hopefully fixing the situation. Shane hopefully the little guy is saved, but at the end of season around october I have a 7 pot yellow you can have it in a 5 gallon root pouch it all yours you just need to remind me if you would still want it. Good luck

After a quick google, the yellow moves bottom to top, but the wilting moves top to bottom. In your pruning did you see anything like this:

Fusarium-Stem.jpg

The discoloration in the picture is caused by Fusarium.

A quick google search revealed that fungal wilts move from the bottom up, while bacterial wilt moves from the top down.

IF its fusarium, you likely have infected soil, seems to me that plant beside the sick fatalii is likely to get sick it self.
No...looked clean on the inside here's a few snaps...
P1010472.jpg

P1010471.jpg

They look clean...any other thoughts?

IMO it looks iron deficient. Just my opinion tho. That always starts from the top down and makes it look like chlorosis.

I'd be more prone to think it's some type of deficiency, but it also kind of looks like a mosaic virus. For that though, I would expect to see it on other plants...so I'm stumped.

IMO it looks iron deficient. Just my opinion tho. That always starts from the top down and makes it look like chlorosis.
Thanks Jamison! Being on the same nute schedule and in the same bed wouldn't they all look iron deficient? Unless there is some sort of problem locking it out? I know that's how most wilts work. They choke off the uptake of nutes until the plant is completely strangled. The plants on all sides of this one are happy and healthy, as was it a week ago...the remainder of the bed all looks fine. Just afraid a week from now that won't be the case...

Yes you would think that way since there are plants right next to it not doing that but, plants are not all the same. I have some plants that barely need nutes and do great and some that need different nutes and on a different schedule to do well. I just pay attention to leaves just like you have done, diagnose, and try to fix. But again just my opinion. Good luck man. I know you have about a billion plants goin and is hard not to have some sort of schedule for all of them just to keep up.

Yes you would think that way since there are plants right next to it not doing that but, plants are not all the same. I have some plants that barely need nutes and do great and some that need different nutes and on a different schedule to do well. I just pay attention to leaves just like you have done, diagnose, and try to fix. But again just my opinion. Good luck man. I know you have about a billion plants goin and is hard not to have some sort of schedule for all of them just to keep up.

130...ish, I got a few other sick ones around the yard too. So maybe down to 125, just don't want to get down to zero in a hurry if I miss something.

I just went back out and pulled 8 more plants...not looking good. Got one in a container dropping all its leaves too. Don't know what it is, but its hitting pretty fast.

Yeah...thankfully only one container plant has been hit...think it might be unrelated. I moved it to a shady spot away from the others to see what it does. The others were no doubt sick...and all real fast last in the last couple days going from great to half dead. 3 of 4 plants in one small area and 5 of 9 in another were sick. Appears as though whatever it is doesn't hit fish peppers or mucho nacho Jals...so maybe if all else fails I will have a couple of those, lol They may have been able to push through it, but I didn't want to chance it since I have so many extras doesn't make sense to keep a few sick ones out there...Haven't been out in a couple hours...kinda scared to look. One of my purple bhuts looked suspect, but I though I just might be too critical so I walked away and did some woodwork. Going to check now.

Thanks for trying to help out everyone. Hopefully I caught it early enough. We shall see...

As I remember the third nutrient supports plant immune response.

If its some kind of nute lock from a weird spot in the soil, it may or may not do anything for you.

I guess my suggestion is to isolate the sick ones, and experiment on them... Do different things to each, and see if you can get one to pull out of it, and then do the same thing to the others..

I have a similar problem it may be fungal as well??? My leaves were turning a light yellowish color, both new leaves and old leaves were falling off the plant. So I cut the rest of the bad leaves and isolated it outside. Does thing sound fungal? Ideas suggestions?

Yeah...thankfully only one container plant has been hit...think it might be unrelated. I moved it to a shady spot away from the others to see what it does. The others were no doubt sick...and all real fast last in the last couple days going from great to half dead. 3 of 4 plants in one small area and 5 of 9 in another were sick. Appears as though whatever it is doesn't hit fish peppers or mucho nacho Jals...so maybe if all else fails I will have a couple of those, lol They may have been able to push through it, but I didn't want to chance it since I have so many extras doesn't make sense to keep a few sick ones out there...Haven't been out in a couple hours...kinda scared to look. One of my purple bhuts looked suspect, but I though I just might be too critical so I walked away and did some woodwork. Going to check now.

Thanks for trying to help out everyone. Hopefully I caught it early enough. We shall see...

I hope you are able to get to the root of the problem! Lol :rofl: On a serious note I really do, Are you going to treat it with some sort of funguside?

Shane,

I did some looking through a book I have called "The Complete Chile Pepper Book," which has a lot of common diseases and pests listed in there. I did a google image search on the names of the diseases, and it looks to me like it is most likely some form of virus.

That's just my .02, though. In any case make sure you monitor it, as it seems most virus based diseases tend to be carried via our favorite insects, aphids and white flys, which could be bad news for your container plants.

I think for right now, isolation is your best bet. Good luck!

I just put the fatalii in a 2 gallon container with fresh Happy Frog soil. I tossed the rest of the plants.

Shane,

I did some looking through a book I have called "The Complete Chile Pepper Book," which has a lot of common diseases and pests listed in there. I did a google image search on the names of the diseases, and it looks to me like it is most likely some form of virus.

That's just my .02, though. In any case make sure you monitor it, as it seems most virus based diseases tend to be carried via our favorite insects, aphids and white flys, which could be bad news for your container plants.

Looks like I should invest in that book! Any guesses on my problem? Pretty soon I wont have any leaves at all :(

Shane,

Thanks rabid...if so, we'll find out real quick which ones have some sort of resistance to it. If any. Been battling aphids all year, and if they carry it more than likely they'll all catch it.

Shane,

Looks like I should invest in that book! Any guesses on my problem? Pretty soon I wont have any leaves at all :(

Mega...hard to tell without pics. Your issue could be anything from poor drainage, to overfertilizing??? Sounds most likely cause is waterlogged. Post up some pics and I'll take a looksie.

Shane,

Thanks rabid...if so, we'll find out real quick which ones have some sort of resistance to it. If any. Been battling aphids all year, and if they carry it more than likely they'll all catch it.

Shane,

Mega...hard to tell without pics. Your issue could be anything from poor drainage, to overfertilizing??? Sounds most likely cause is waterlogged. Post up some pics and I'll take a looksie.
Here it is with some pics. I will throw a few more pics on tomorrow http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31139-bacterial-leaf-spot/

Back