Sickness ID? (pic)

Large pic:
http://50.72.217.75:83/2013-05-18/sick.jpg

Any thoughts on the above picture?  My two overwintered Butch Ts both have that happening to their leaves.  It's raining off and on today, so that's why the soil appears that wet.

They overwintered more or less ok, went outside for a week and were doing well with a minimum of sunburn, then that started happening.

Is it gonorrtreea? Syphileaf?  Did they get it from a good rooting?

that thing looks jacked up. have you fertilized them recently? here's a couple references i like to share, share them if you like:
plantfungusanddisease_zps06151137.jpg

Nutrient_deficiency1_zps3e713bec.jpg
[/URL]

maybe think about cutting all that dead looking shiz off down to the lowest new growth. they'll come back better than ever, at least they do for me.

I did fertilize them before putting them out.  They had no fertilizer at all over the winter, then I gave them the same dose of fertilizer they were getting last year before winter.

I can't rule out some sort of fert shock, but I'm rather conservative with the stuff and this seems extreme.

to me it definitely looks like a combination of things. possibly a combination of multiple pests, or pests with calcium deficiency. or maybe just severe calcium deficiency. maybe i'm totally wrong. just my thoughts

did you cut the plant back? it looks like you may have cut it too high and it is getting top heavy as well. i'd really consider cutting it WAY back to the lowest leaves on it

The bubbly leaves do look like a Calcium deficiency. I wonder if the plant is so leggy with so few leaves that it's having trouble transporting nutrients around?

Overwinters sometimes don't do so well with the hibernation process. I have a couple of in-ground 3rd year plants right now. One of them had a lot of severe nutrient deficiency symptoms with the earliest leaves. After a while it put up new shoots from ground level that had healthy looking leaves. I think leaving too much plant above ground can be counter productive. The old woody stalks don't seem to work as well as fresh growth for moving nutrients around.

Back