• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Silica – The Hidden Cost of Chemicals

Here's a bit from it that I'm wondering about. "Potassium silicate is a good soluble form of silica but it is not compatible with many other fertilisers and must often be applied as a standalone or with boron. One way out of this limitation is to use a pre-formulated potassium silicate-based fertiliser which includes other synergists."

Looking at the label on Botanicare's "Silica Blast" it says "2.0% Silica derived from sodium silicate and potassium silicate" The article says Potassium silicate is a good soluble form but isn't compatible with many other ferts. One way to bypass that is to use a pre-formulated potassium silicate based fertilizer. Does anyone know if the potassium silicate in Silica Blast is pre-formulated or if it contains other synergists or boron?

Nothing is ever simple is it?

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to possibly treat DE to make it plant usable easily.

For instance,I put an inch of Dolomite Lime in a quart of vinegar to get Calcium acetate (homemade Bud set).
I've read it also picks up the Mag. in the Lime...
Either way when I use it as a soil drench with my fish and seaweed fert. within days I get a LOT more buds than without it.

So I'm wondering if you can make DE into an additive that I can just add to my ferts. cheaply rather than spending a ton of$ on some companies version of silica this or that.
I get the impression that the stuff in the article needed to make silica from different sources depends too much on soil PH,ferts used etc.
I want something that I can just add from time to time that gets used without messing with other stuff in the soil.

Example is the lime and vinegar stuff I make costs $4.00 for the lime(3+ lbs) and $1.00 for white vinegar.
Lot cheaper than buying a couple OZ. of blossom set at $5.00 or whatever.
Calcium acetate is supposed to be usable in a plant spray or as a soil drench.
Since it is supposed to be plant usable it doesn't matter about soil ph to make it plant usable...like lime and mag. are.
Supposed to also give plants a more even supply of both Ca. and Mag. which in plants use the same receptors and usually have to fight it out as to which one will be taken up.
As an acetate the plant takes up both according to it's needs at the time - so I've read...
It does work for me,especially since I like to get pure seeds by keeping plants I want pure seed from in 4 1/2in. pots indoors until I get a pod before it goes outside.

Does Silica have anything to do with seed , a lack of or increase in production?
Just wondering,my seed supply from just the few plants I pod up each year isn't adequate these days to keep up with my SASBE offers. :)
I can't keep up with all the varieties people want.

Back