• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Siliman's 2011 Grow

This grow list is kinda bass ackwards since I started C. Annuums way back in January and just recently started some longer growing varieties. Been testing stuff just to see if I could grow anything at all indoors!

I tend to be long winded, so, like Playboy articles, skip to the photos if your attention span is like mine. (Do they still publish Playboy?)

I have to thank those forum members that I have pestered relentlessly and those that I have combed over their posts for every bit of info. Very funny group, also!

Here's the contenders I've started so far, kinda reverse order:
Scotch Bonnet
Chile de Arbol
Long Red Slim Cayenne
NuMex Bailey Piquin
Aji Rojo
Chimayo
Hungarian Wax
Biker Billy Jalapeno
NuMex Jalmundo
Early Jalapeno
Jalapeno M
Thai Hot

The sweets: Blushing Beauty, Cal Wonder, Sonoma

Over-Wintered: Jalpeno, Anaheim, Super Chili, Super Serrano

You can see I am slanted toward the mild side of hot: jalapenos. You cannot believe the clientele I have developed that crave, demand and expect the canned jalapenos courtesy of myself and the wife unit. (Clientele = mooching friends expecting great jalapenos for free.) I am attempting to grow some hotter stuff out of my own comfort zone just because of the beauty of the plants posted here. I do drool a lot when I see the hot pods posted, so I must be a candidate for pepper expansion.

Pix to follow in no apparent order.

Let there be light:
I jerry-rigged a pipe stand that I use to hoist my motorcycle by adding some PVC bits. I was able to support 3 shop lights. I can cram 5 standard flats under there, with a bit of overlap.

Currently a bunch of mixed veggies in there. Maters, eggplant, mostly peppers.

light%20stand%203.jpg

Since you folks are real hot heads, I had to try something relatively hot. The Scotch Bonnet is the best I can do for now. Remember, I am proud just to be able to grow anything at all, so this is a big deal for me. (SB & de Arbol started in baggies 3/04)

GrowLog32911%20020.jpg

Last batch I started: never grew any of these before: left to right: (started in baggies 3/04):scotch, de Arbol, piquin, cayenne. (Started about 2/18): early jal, biker billy, chimayo, hungarian wax

GrowLog32911%20017.jpg

Siliman,

Your peppers look nice and healthy. I too was just a jalapeno lover for quite some time, eventually needed more heat. Little steps at a time! Looking forward to more pics as the season progresses.

@ PepperLover: thanks, too kind! So many really cool growers around here that have reached much higher. When I see the photos of exotic plants, makes me wanna travel there and talk to the folks who grow them on their home turf.

@ Wayright: thanks! the light stand helped sell the wife unit on the whole idea of (cheap) indoor gardening. It is overbuilt with pipes I already had, but might give a new grower some ideas using 1-inch pvc for really cheap. Also flexible for 1, 2 or 3 lights:

light%20stand%201.jpg

The support legs down below are just T fittings with 9-inch extenstions. If built with PVC, would prolly need to be anchored to a wall on one side.
light%20stand%202.jpg

@ Much obliged to Jeffrey, Wolfhound and JustaGuy!
@ MM HotHalf, thanks, I know this grow is not in your league, but I'm looking forward to heating up beyond the jalapenos. I'm hoping the Biker Billys are a notch above regular. And hoping the Jalmundos will make for magnificent poppers, if not entirely full of fire!

Here's some of the bigger plants I started a little too soon like a good newbie should. Start dates are on the cups (date seeds went in baggies). At first, did a lot of experimenting with my own soil-less starter mixes with few nutes and most everything was slow at the beginning. Have since potted up to (mostly Pro-Mix BX and Roots) and also using Botanicare nutes Pro Grow, Karma and Cal/Mag, sometimes fish oil.

NuMex Twilight:
Twilight%20330.jpg

Aji Rojo, my only Baccattuum. A bit pale, hmmm. Different growth rate in different soils tested.
Aji%20Rojo%20330.jpg

buncha twilight, chimayo and Julmundo
TwiChiJalMundos%20330.jpg

Biker Billys: Leggy ones planted 2 weeks too soon, I guess, but I'll take it. Those are by far the fastest growing. I've got 3 others in the right size zone
bikerB%20330.jpg

Some Hungarian Wax doing pretty well. One of my favs right off the vine.
Hungarian%20330.jpg

My $100 greenhouse now starting to fill up. Peppers will have to tough it out in here soon as space is becoming needed under the lights for other veggies.
gh330.jpg

Old dog on patrol.... :cool:
GrowLog32911%20015.jpg

I hope you have the greenhouse anchored down. Looking good. Reminds me I have to go lay down more Naga Morich for germination.

Sweet healthy peppers will flow forth! Great work mate, good to know you have a sentry on guard duty too!

@ Justaguy, yea, these little hooches are susceptible to wind. Got it secured somewhat but will prolly apply some sandbags to the SE corner, the only real threat in that spot. Its doing more stuff than I first thought about, already the main hangar for the over-wintered plants and all the broccoli, onions, peas, lettuce and cold wx plants. Hope it can work on both ends of the seasons here.

@ Nova, thanks, Man! Really for the first time, I'm actually feeling the positive vibes coming off the plants. Like they think I might be able to (help them) pull this off. Weird, I know.... :cool:

@ Buddy, many thanks. The old dog enjoys the gardening, as does this old dog.

Congrats on some good looking peppers. My son lives just outside of Pocatello, and he's going to jump when he sees your pics.
Save the planet... it's the only one with peppers.

Your plants and set up look really nice, good work. :cool:

How is that greenhouse working out for you? Is it keeping a good temp and are you having to heat it? I assume things are still cold in Idaho, since it's hovering around 30-40 here in Indiana. We even had some snow this morning. :eek: I was considering one of those cheapo greenhouses until I can afford to buy a proper one. Is a lot of light getting through?

@ Richoso, now don't get your son in Pokey all excited...it is much colder on that side of the state. Its all uphill from here in Boise.

@ AB, I'm digging the el cheapo greenhouse, but still trying to figger it all out. It runs about 10 degrees above ambient at night. I have a small heater that I use if the temps get to freezing or below, and it stays at 40F with intermittent heat, at least on the top shelf. I decided that is all I'm going to do for the over-wintered plants in there. Those poor guys have been through heaven and hell, so they live or die by the gh.

It has that mellow feel of real greenhouse. Seems well suited for partial hardening. The cold Wx plants love it in there. My onions, broccoli really thriving.

It only takes a bit of direct sun to rapidly warm. It will go to 90F if no clouds at all, so best to open the door then. There is only the one door; wish it had one at the back for breeze control. (I might cut one / sew one.) The light is diffused, but still seems adequate even on cloudy days. I've rotated plants in and out of there, and you can just tell they love it.

It has held up in some 25-mph winds, but don't think it would do Texas! It has a narrow 4-ft profile which helps in the wind. Needs anchoring. The racks are steel and pretty substantial. The rod connectors are kind of cheap--hope they hold up when I dis-assemble/re-assemble. It isn't hard to move at all--could go to sheltered space if major storm incoming, I guess.

If I can get an a month or two of growing / storage space in the spring, will be well worth it. It beats adding more grow lights indoors. So far, so good.... :cool:

Nice looking plants you got growin Siliman!

But I'm really likin your use of the desk and Nat Geo's! NOBODY should have to sit at a desk, and Nat Geo's are, well, Nat Geo's. :lol:

Good luck to ya this season!

@ Down River: Ha! Not just the Nat Geos, but how about the VHS cassette tapes and chicken containers for spacers... Funny thing is I thought I could save some money when I started doing this. After I was willing to pay $55 for a bale of Pro-Mix, I knew I was doomed. But still, best hobby ever.

Meanwhile, your Biker Billy seeds have a place of honor. The ones I planted 2/12 went a bit leggy cause they grew fast and had to serve some window time. The ones started 3/01 appear on much better schedule. Thus I have learned a bit more about proper germination timing.... :cool: Thanks again!

Back