• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Simon04's Glog

I've just started growing for the first time this year.....

I'm currently in possession of a few seedlings and a few plastic tubs with seeds germinating.

I was also given a big headstart, when I was given a small selection of mature plants by a friend of the family. They were a bit tatty - but I'm working on that.

I was given these. I'm currently trying to identify these, with help on my other post here.... but they seem to be pointing to Birds Eyes and Hot Wax or Banana.

Anaheim, Costeno Amarillo and Tam Jalapeno. Started Feb 2013

Peter Pepper and Anaheim. Started 2013

Cheyenne. Purchased 4x seedlings Feb 2013. Re-potted Mar 2013

I'm hoping to record an inventory of what I have soon, and what success in germination there is. I also have Habanero Oranges yet to show signs of germination.

Here's where I'm at so far;

I started re-potting seedlings into individual pots. I've also re-potted the some of the plants I was given, from a rectangle pot, to individual ones. I untangled these, to find 6 separate plants! Which now I believe to be Birds Eyes.

Currently own;
4x Cheyenne - young plants
4x Tam Jalapeño seedlings
4x Costeño Amarillo seedlings
2x Peter or Anaheim seedlings (mixed by accident!)
1x Anaheim seedling
1x Peter seedling
2x Hungarian Wax plants
6x Birds Eye plants

Also;
Two more Anaheim awaiting germination.
Many stubborn Habanero seeds not germinating.

.... Oh, and some Naga Bhut Jolokia seeds in the post to me :-)

Done a good job untangling those bird's eye Simon. They looked pretty well webbed together. Hope they grow out nice for you now.

Let me know if the habs you have don't pull through, be happy to send you a range of different habs I have spare. Plenty of meaty super hots also.

Cheers mate
Pete

Done a good job untangling those bird's eye Simon. They looked pretty well webbed together. Hope they grow out nice for you now.

Let me know if the habs you have don't pull through, be happy to send you a range of different habs I have spare. Plenty of meaty super hots also.

Cheers mate
Pete

Thanks. I'll see how I go with the Habaneros.

I've passed a few of the seeds around to see if anybody else can get them to grow...

It could turn into a bit of fun when it develops into a challenge :-)

Good start nice and simple. If you want some new varieties I can spare some seeds. I have extra of a few types.

,Vegas
Thanks!! :-)

I finally got some Orange Habaneros to show signs of life, and tried out some grow plugs.

Currently trying to germinate some Bhut Jolokia (Naga). Plus ordered Piquante (Peppadew) seeds - hopefully great for pickling.

Also working a small (but probably necessary) DIY lighting setup, and considering investing in a food dehydrator.

Here's an update of how I'm doing so far;
Tam Jalapeño 6 Anaheim 2 Costeño Amarillo 6 Peter 1 Habanero Orange 13 Peter or Anaheim 2 Naga Bhut Jolokia 0 Piquante 0 Hungarian Wax ? 5 Birds Eye ? 3 Cheyenne 4 Jalapeño Shakira 1 Bell Boy 1
No major problems as yet. Greenfly outbreak after buying a Mint plant from the supermarket! Now dealt with. Some washing-up liquid damage to plants though - and lessons learned.

Increased my grow light - which I'm really pleased with. Bought mini-greenhouse for future use.

No luck with Bhut Jolokia or Piquante, but have someone trying to germinate the seeds on my behalf (not looking good though).

My first year of growing, and I'm really pleased with how it's going.

I've had to accept failure on the Nagas and Piquantes, so will have to rethink when I start the next batch growing...

All signs point to a fruitful season. Make sure if that g house gets wry outside to dry it. Letting it dry in the sun will make it weaker and put holes like mine did

A few months on and I have fruit! One Anaheim with one fruit. Tam Jalapeno slowly emerging.

Below are Cheyenne and Jalapeno Hot Shakira. They have been the most successful so far, and were purchased from the garden centre as seedlings.

Had only average success in the year just gone.... But now I have a greenhouse - here's thes years grow list;

Bhut Jolokia Red

Tam Jalapeño

F1 Vampire

F1 Apache

Cayenne

Numex Twilight

Pasillla Bajio

Indian Green

Mulato Isleno

Jalapeño Hot Shakira

Big Jim

Khorika Jolokia

Chiltepin

Habanero Orange

Pequin

Krishna Jolokia

Pepperoncini Golden Greek

Serrano Purple

Costeno Amarillo

Plus various Tomatoes and Sweet Peppers, Tomatillo, Cucumber and Cucamelon.

New separate grow log created for 2014, but here's some pictures, resulting from the 2013 harvest:

Back