• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Simple Outdoor Hydroponic Setup?

Hi friends,
I'm looking for people's opinions of outdoor hydro setups. I've never done any hydro growing, but would like to get into it this year. I'm looking for simplicity. The Krakty method seems cool and easy - does anyone have any experience with that method? What size containers would be sufficient/optimal? Seems like a black closed container of water would get pretty hot here in Tennessee... Am I missing something?

Would a simple fish-bubbler type rig turn the stagnant Krakty into a full-blown "Hydro" setup? I assume constant oxygenation/disturbance of the roots would do a lot toward nutrient uptake and growth. 

How do "feedings" happen in hydro setups? I usually just feed my peps with a kelp/fish fertilizer every 2 weeks during the growing season. Are there specific ways/means of delivering the nutrients? Wouldn't want a fungal takeover! 

Really I just want to enjoy the experience and hopefully get some peps out of it. 
THOUGHTS?!

_My thoughts are 

Pledger said:
Hi friends,
I'm looking for people's opinions of outdoor hydro setups. I've never done any hydro growing, but would like to get into it this year. I'm looking for simplicity. The Krakty method seems cool and easy - does anyone have any experience with that method? What size containers would be sufficient/optimal? Seems like a black closed container of water would get pretty hot here in Tennessee... Am I missing something?

Would a simple fish-bubbler type rig turn the stagnant Krakty into a full-blown "Hydro" setup? I assume constant oxygenation/disturbance of the roots would do a lot toward nutrient uptake and growth. 

How do "feedings" happen in hydro setups? I usually just feed my peps with a kelp/fish fertilizer every 2 weeks during the growing season. Are there specific ways/means of delivering the nutrients? Wouldn't want a fungal takeover! 

Really I just want to enjoy the experience and hopefully get some peps out of it. 
THOUGHTS?!

_My thoughts aren't very positive after these recent threads:

Hydro outdoors? Can it be done? Heat issues?
Any good recommendation on prefab'ed hydro setups for say 12 -18 pots?
Goal: Cheap, Low Maintenance Outdoor Hydro
Outdoor hydroponics recommendations?

Pledger said:
Hi friends,

THOUGHTS?!

I grow outdoors with the Kratky method slightly modified and have always had good results.  I grow in black containers ranging from 1/2-gallon up to 32-gallons.  Check out the glogs; lots of folks here grow outside with Kratky-ish setups.

Kratky is great using mason jars to start up and then transfer them to tubs :) I do recommend an air stone in the tub, plants will grow much faster.

I created a flood bucket system.  It has two grow buckets and 10 gallon reservoir currently.  It is sort of a stacked system.

20200430-162021.jpg

20200430-162041.jpg

20200430-162050.jpg

20200430-162112.jpg

20200430-162122.jpg

I've done coco-perlite Hempy buckets for years outdoors in 100+ weather with no problems, mainly to compare different fertilizers. It's passive hydro so when plants get big and/or it gets hot you water every day, no water recycles and no pumps, fresh cool water everyday. The coco makes it more forgivable in extreme temps and the plant will hold on longer if you miss waterings. Very cheap too, all you need is a brick of coco (cheap at walmart), medium to large perlite, some 5 gallon buckets and some fertilizer. Very easy to overwinter giant plants also in the Hempys. So far, my favorite 1 part ferts for peppers in Hempys have been Floranova Bloom and Urban Farm, and I have tried many including Dynagro foliage, Jacks all purpose, Maxigrow and bloom etc. 

Back