• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Simple to make South Indian lentil soup recipe

First time i tried this one, as i like Indian food very much:

-One yellow onion.(used one medium size red onion because the awesome taste it has.)
-Two garlic cloves.
-Some Oil(gheeta) or cooking oil to fry.
-One tablespoon of crated fresh ginger.( You can even put maybe half spoon of dry powdered ginger, if fresh stuff is not available like i did haha.)
- One teaspoon of dried chilipowder.(used chilipowder, that is from India) or make it hot as you like.
-1 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala.
-One big carrot.
-2dl of red lentils.
-One can of crushed tomatoes.(400Grams)
-One can of coco milk.(400Grams)
-7dl of water mixed with 1 1/2 pieces of vegetable bouillon.
-Salt to taste if needed.( didnt need to add any)

Fry both onions with the cooking oil for 5 minutes, add all the spices and fry for 30 seconds.
Chop the carrot to small pieces and add that and the rest of the stuff in the pan and let it slowly boil
for 15-20 mins, until the lentils are soft.

After it has cooled down some, make the soup fine looking by using some kind of mixer.

You can use some fresh coriander for serving the soup, some yogurt and some papadam bread to wipe the soup. I forgot any of that extra and i will use ryebread to wipe the soup off when i have Finnished it first.

The Finnished product:
IMG_20180131_1920481.jpg

Tastes great without any of the extras and have some nice heat too.

Tasted so good, that i need more of that stuff...
when-someone-says-food.jpg

Cures your cold too by eating this stuff. I think it is pretty much suitable for the vegetarian too. This stuff is really filling with some bread, ate too much of it in one go!

Never have cooked much with Lentils, but they are really good protein source and they taste great in a soup like this. Give it a try instead of using meat all the time and get some of those super delicious Naan breads too to wipe this stuff up.

I like simple good food and this is super easy to make, i will leave the more harder to make foods to others, fancy food is not for me.

chelicerae said:
Sounds and looks good, might need to try some if my grow would happen to be at least partially successful : )

For the time being just use some store bought good Chili pepper powder intended for the use of cooking  Mexican, Indian or Thai foods. Santa maria original chili pepper smells kind of the same as the Indian chili powder stuff i used. Most Indian food is not that hot, more like spicy hot for everyone to enjoy.

Back