• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Single plant newby pollination question

My jalapeno is doing very well. The first blossom opened yesterday and there are two more on deck and four more behind those. This is my first and only plant, not counting the cayennes planted outside under the sunflowers that have yet to pop out of the ground.

I was advised to pollinate the flowers with a little brush, and I can do that, but before I screw anything up I want to ask:

Is it really necessary to use the brush pollination method if I have a fan blowing on the plant? There is a little three inch desk fan blowing on the plant during light hours to remove the heat from the lights. Prior to adding the fan the plant was showing signs of heat stress, but now with the fan running it is back to robust health.

Secondly, if I still need to brush the blooms, do I carry the pollen from one bloom to the another, or can I pollinate one flower with its own pollen?

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: And I forgot to ask - How many days after the flower opens should I brush pollinate it, if that is the recommended method?

The fan will probably take care of it. You can give the plant a light shake to help things. No need to transfer between flowers. Pollinate the same day the flower opens, no reason to wait. I have used a q-tip, but I hear a little brush works well. Some people use the tip of a finger, but I am clumsy and tend to smash things up, YMMV.

I have been using the tip of my little finger and gently rubbing the flowers everyday. I've had very good success with this method on my Manzano plant.

Even with my plants outside, I use my little finger.... Didn't have too many flying bugs on my balcony and I didn't want the rain to take away the pollen....

Back