• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Skeeter dunks in sprayer

Was wondering about throwing dunks in 2 gal sprayer and hitting my pots and area under decking at same time. I know you can use then in watering can, but sprayer? Wondering about clogging issues. Grind, soak and filter out undisolved bits? Anybody done this before or tips if their currently doing it. Thanks.

mosquito dunks are poisonous food for the larvae, it has to be in the water with the larvae to work, spraying doesn't seem like it would be effective.  Also because its food it doesn't dissolve and  would most likely clog your sprayer.  I clogged my sprayer with compost tea, even though I cleaned it, it never worked properly again.

mosquito dunks are basically BT powder... endospores or what ever they are- impregnated onto a substrate that breaks down in water kinda like a chlorine tablet. its probably got some insoluble binders and such... so make sure your sprayer has no fine mesh screens or tiny valves an such.

better yet just buy a BT spray.

Topsmoke said:
mosquito dunks are poisonous food for the larvae, it has to be in the water with the larvae to work, spraying doesn't seem like it would be effective.  Also because its food it doesn't dissolve and  would most likely clog your sprayer.  I clogged my sprayer with compost tea, even though I cleaned it, it never worked properly again.

most sprayers use a simple spring and spool valve arrangement. what happens to mine is the spool valve gets stuck such that the spring cannot return it back to the off positon.

if you take out the spool valve, it will have 2 o rings... remove and clean them and relubricate with a rubber safe grease and it should work  fine again. 

if the screen is cloged you could just remove it and try to clear it with various acids etc, but you can probably just remove it and replace it with an o ring. you can also just cut the screen open or cut it off entirely that way you still have that spacer you need to seal up the wand properly.

if the nozzle plugs... ive never had that happen, but im guessing you can just push a needle through it and clear it, the hot soap and water,  and then clean it in an acidic solution to dissolve any mineral crud just like with the screen.

Yes, it is difficult to break down the pellets fine enough to make it through a sprayer. They do not dissolve. I usually get them as small as fairly fine perlite. Crumb sized...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I steep Mosquito Granuals in water,then use as a soil spray-strained.
I've found BT is probably heat sensitive.
My S. facing pots get too hot.
I have to use it early.
I Think the bacteria(Not a Poison) is cool if your pots don't get too hot.
Same with Nematodes for grubs...
I've used Granuals mixed in my potting soil with good success for grubs (Japanese Beatles).
No spray,water in the soil does the job easier-less work.

I like using it for starts or?
If used early,it stops the life Cycle for stuff I used to have Big time Problems with.
Japanese Beatles used to suck Big time in my pots.
Now I see a few here and there.

I Have No Clue If it works the same In Ground.

You  don't need to break them down.
Think steeping Tea...

Thanks for the imput, with this constant rain and cool weather just seems gnats are worse than usaul. My new pot ups outside got swarmed with adults at soil level. Scratched in cinnamon with a chunk of ground dunk for now to hopefully get ahead. Looking at up to an 1 1/2" of rain tommorrow and more sunday. Pots will all be crammed under my long resin table for the weekend. As of now they won't need watering till end of june! Got some good ideas, thanks.

Back