• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

skinny cotyledons

Lately I've been seeing a few seedlings with very, very skinny cotyledons, the seedlings usually look pretty sickly then shrivel up and die within a few days. The cotyledons are nearly as skinny as the stems. The great majority of seedlings in the same germination chambers have regular looking cotyledons and are doing fine. All 4 of my white habaneros have had the skinny cotyledons and died, I've only seen 2 or 3 others do this out of well over 100 seedlings. Does anyone know the cause of this? Is it damping off, immature seed, etc? I did a search but wasn't able to find anything about this. It seems to only be happening on the few varieties that aren't germinating very well, so I'm thinking maybe it could be an issue with the seeds.

I bet it was just the seed viability, my douglahs are experiencing the exact same thing, i would take a picture but i don't think my camera would be able to focus on such a skinny weak object.
1 douglah only has 1 cotyledon and is the size of pin, about a 1/4" in height. the second is long and thin with tiny sickly looking leaves with little shape to them. These seeds are in my heated mini greenhouse with co2 being injected into the dome as of mid last week. i have given them a light mist of epsom salt and put a little weak chammomille tea on the soil surface to ward off any fungus and i was thinking of mixing up some aspirin as giving them a little feed. Since giving them a weak taste of bunnypoo tea my 1 douglah as now sprouted a second set of leaves but the cotyledons are still sickly.

in the next 2 cells are barrackpore and they are full bodied leaves and look really healthy and behind them in the next 2 cells are yellow sevens that look just as healthy as the barracks.

someone like AJ would just thin out this size of seedling, unfortunately they are my only ones.

It happened to one of my Douglahs as well. So far, I've had one douglah, one chocolate hab, and 4 white habs. I think those are the only ones it has happened to.

Sorry I am just seeing this now, in my experience, this has only happened when seeds are planted in soil that is packed too hard OR planted too deep and the cotyl is unable to break the surface. This year all but one of my plants have these skinny super long cot'so and the single normal on was a shallow planted write off seed that surprised me by sprouting. I will attach pictures when I get a chance.

Back