• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Skullbikers Staying Healthy in 2020 Flog

Processed (2) 2lb batches of Rocoto Montufar sauce ferment. 

6E520C58-C3E9-4DCC-9A8E-B47461C331CA.jpeg

That ends up being 96 oz of ferment mash. 

63CC8D59-BAE7-4D82-ABC8-8742AE109FDF.jpeg

Now to just swish it around every 2 days and wait a couple of months.

I blended up a few more sauce ferments.

Mixed Rocotos(about 5 lbs, gallon jar) consisting of Rocoto Montufar, Equadorian Sweet Rocoto, and Monzano Giant Red Rocoto.

B6C2D09C-20BD-43F9-9E03-2E285C45CCA8.jpeg

Gelbe Riesen Giant Yellow Rocotos

67FEA5CC-3FC5-404D-B377-3D1ED53BCD90.jpeg

Mixed yellow peppers with Pepperoncini, Jamaican Yellow, and a few Gelbe Riesen Giant Yellow Rocoto

4794CE8E-6C64-46E8-85EC-9392D562858A.jpeg

As usual, swish around every day or two and wait, wait, wait.

I've never tried blending before fermenting.  I just cut them up in small pieces first.  Is there an advantage to blending them?  
Judging by your glog, you'll have no problem filling up that 1/2 shelf.
And I guess it's safe to say that you like those lids!  I have several different types around here but I like those the best.

Tybo said:
I've never tried blending before fermenting.  I just cut them up in small pieces first.  Is there an advantage to blending them?  
Judging by your glog, you'll have no problem filling up that 1/2 shelf.
And I guess it's safe to say that you like those lids!  I have several different types around here but I like those the best.

I am not sure if there is an advantage to blending before fermenting, probably just personal preference. I really do like the vacuum lids as you can pull out most of the oxygen before the ferment starts.

Rain again yesterday so time to use up the pepper juice I had saved. One pint of Rocoto Montufar juice and two pints of mixed pepper juice consisting of Suhauro Big Chili, Cherry Bombs, Antep Aci Dolma, and assorted Jalapenos.

FF263CC5-131C-496E-9AA0-3D6A30810CC9.jpeg

The result.

852C259B-6F89-41C0-B800-AC95BE65F2A6.jpeg

Speaking of pepper jelly.  One year I grew a bunch of Hot Banana Peppers and made a ton of pepper jelly from them.  Put them in the small (4oz?) cute jelly jars so I could give some away as gifts.
Anyway, I had so many that after a while, we stopped eating it and forgot about the rest.  One day I was going through all the canned stuff and came across these jelly jars and picked one up and my thumb went through the lid.  The lids had disintegrated over time.  Maybe the acidity inside?  None of my other canned good ever did that.
Needless to say, I don't make that much anymore!
Yep, pepper jelly is a favorite for sure.

DownRiver said:

Pretty good article. I should be in good shape from eating my hybrid kimchi at the rate of a half pint a day! But, I will not be attending any Covid parties to test the theory. Currently out of Kombucha or that would be another good source. I better make another batch soon.

Just started a large batch of Kombucha(4 gal). I split it between (2) 2 1/2 gal jars. I also finally did my maintenance on my SCOBY hotel, I screened out the yeast and added some new sweet tea to feed the SCOBYs. 
Brew on each side, SCOBY hotel in the center. 

AFDE4A7A-232B-433E-99F0-4CEF3FFA3C5F.jpeg

Here is a super simple recipe once you have a SCOBY(either started by yourself or purchased) and you can buy organic kombucha for starter at Walmart or most grocery stores, or use your own if you have it.

ACA743AC-1F38-46A5-8B03-DF25B9A9F6E6.png

Back