food Slow cooked Lamb Shanks.

Shorerider

Staff Member
eXtreme
Dry rubbed the Lamb with my own spice mix and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Then in to a pot with some oil to seal it.
20150622_115129.jpg

Then added some browned onions and garlic, crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, paprika, carrots, potatoes, and 1litre of chicken stock. I let it all simmer for 4.5 hours.
20150622_144517.jpg

Served with rice and topped with fresh parsley and Cayenne Chilli. 
20150622_172924.jpg

SR.

Talkin my language SR!

Freeeekin love lamb shanks.... breaks my heart how expensive they are these days.... lovely lovely dish though... my kinda grub... great effort  :party:

Thanks, yes it was fall off the bone tender. I think you can see that in the plated up pic. I tried to get a better pic of the meat on the plate, but it just kept falling apart. 

From memory I paid something like AU$11-12 per kg. Not sure how this compares to US prices, but I'm interested to know. 

SR.

SR, lookin' at the pictures has me rollin' my eyes up in my punkin' 'haid like a great white shark about to chomp...

ON THAT DANG LAMB!

From what I can tell by your method...

The pics don't do it justice taste wise.

Thanks TB, I'd made Lamb like this before but had used Pataks Rogan Josh base sauce, which is very nice btw.

This was the first time I'd done it like this, from scratch, and the taste was beautiful. Probably better than the Pataks, the smell was more pungent, and the taste seemed more complex.

The Lamb - Well, the fat from the Lamb left a nice oil layer on top of the sauce. Once served up, the fatty oil mixed in with the sauce and you could distinctly taste the Lamb in the sauce. Man I wish you could've smelt it.

Recipe was exactly as above, y'all should try it. If not with Lamb, maybe try beef.

SR.

Yum! Most of the lamb I get here is from New Zealand. Seems like it would be cheaper there. Think I last paid about $10.00 or so a pound for shanks on sale.

Another good braise I use is with dark beer and chipoltes. Nothing too complicated, Guiness works well.
Did you have leftovers? Makes a great sandwich.

Leg of lamb here is outrageous.  It is around $15lb which would be like $36kg.  Shanks are much cheaper, but still around $10lb  I would eat much more lamb if it weren't so much, then again I just paid $31 for the steak I made tonight at $14lb so yeah there's that.  Of course that is a rare occasion that I buy one of them, maybe twice a year.

Just be careful buying Lamb from New Zealand. They love their Lamb over there, not on a dinner plate like everyone else, it's way more intimate than that!  :rofl:

SR.

Back