• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Slow Growing Bhut Jolikias And Scorpions

Hi,

I am somewhat puzzled. I am growing some Bhut Jolokias and right now germinating some Moruga Scorpions. These have been germinating and growing for a few weeks now. The thing is I planted some puerto rican peppers (the smalls ones that pack some heat) and those have outgrown my jolokias in days!? Is it normal for the jolokias to grow so slow? The Scorpions haven't even germinated yet. What gives? I am starting to think seed quality....
531663_10151600783507625_1969973311_n.jpg

Its not the seeds. The Chinese species grow way slower than other species. Its not unheard of for germination to take a month. I have some i planted in January and had one pop out under a plant the other day. Don't worry or pitch them but waiting its a bitch. Lol

No problem bud! They take around 180 days to get pods. So its a waiting game from here on out. How many seeds did you put in each?

And if you planted them around 2 weeks ago it shouldn't be too much longer. Think that's about when some of mine start popping.

It took 11 days for my first yellow bhut to hook, whereas all 8 of my caramel bhuts germinated in less than 11 days - go figure. All of my other chinense (primo, moruga, SB7J, TS-CARDI) are way ahead of the yellows...Hang in there and be patient, like smiley said.

Everyone, thank you for the replies! I will have to wait. I already have some friends interested in tasting these when they're done. I told them i'll make a BBQ and sit down and chow down some Ghost Pepper sauce with the food ; ). I don't think they really know what they got themselves into... heh heh heh

Smiley,

Yeah, it's always cool to see the dancing arround when the heat turns up!!

Burning Colon,

You gotta have a nice setup to grow those peppers. I mean what's the temp on march over there? Minus what? I was in Canada many years ago along the east coast. And i didn't even get cold when I was there and man o man...it's was just enough to come flying south!

I've found that this (slow development among the Chinense chile peppers) is more of a factor while the seedlings are inside. Once outside, they more nearly are able to keep up with my others. Nevertheless as has been pointed out above, it is a slow go.

Big Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

Its not the seeds. The Chinese species grow way slower than other species. Its not unheard of for germination to take a month. I have some i planted in January and had one pop out under a plant the other day. Don't worry or pitch them but waiting its a bitch. Lol
wow thats too slow if you sowed them in january, i dont know if its just my season but i planted about 100 seeds 2 weeks ago and about 80 of them already poped.

Al-from-Chile

It's starting to get really hot now coming on to the mid 90's. On winter it's on the high 70's mid 80's during the day. Very windy from the months of Feb. troughout april. Nice weather, high humidity troughout the whole year mostly. Almost always above %50 usually higher. Lots of rain usually on the summer.

Moruga Scorpion Update

My Morugas have started germinating. I think it was a day after I started the thread the first one came up. Now the other few ones I have have also started to sprout! So it seems the Morugas and Jolokias are a go. I am thinking of making a Hydro system on my yard. The ground where I live is mostly rock. But I am still reading on the subject. I do know that we have a hydroponics supplier on the island they have everything needed like plant food, water pumps and everything needed to go into hydroponics. I also have cilantro, tomatoes, onions and some spices and stuff. Mostly the stuff you can use on hot sauces.

The other day I tasted a mango hot sauce from the grocery store, it wasn't bad but I am sure I can make something really good and fresh with fresh picked fruit and ingredients from here. So let's see what happens. I know I have to wait a bit more till I can get some peppers from my plants.

Back