• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Slow Growing

So, this is my 5th year growing peppers but more or less my first growing from seed and for sure my first growing indoors. My question/problem is, I have about 191 seedlings right now, some with 4 or more leaves..they are a few inches tall but seem to have stalled out (or I am just very impatient).

I keep soil moist, lots of light, heat mats for all flats and in an insulated indoor greenhouse. Air temp stays right around 75-80 degrees. I also have a fan inside greenhouse to keep air moving.
So far, I have obviously watered but I have given Epsom salt a few times, hydrogen peroxide a few times when it smelled a bit musty, and bone meal. I just started to give nutrients but have always been told and read not to give seedlings to much extra because you may do more harm than good.

So..am I just impatient or should I see noticeable changes in these each week?

BTW..I am top watering and when I do give nutrients, I am using botanicare Progro and karma. Seedlings look healthy.just not growing as fast as I would hope..

tried the bottom watering today as I was told by a member..never did that but its pretty cool. Will see if that helps. Thanks for the tip

So MANY variables in any growers environment, as this noob has discovered in my first indoor grow.

Of all the things mentioned, I'd consider cutting back on the hydrogren peroxide. I was advised as such by Datil Patch and others--info seems to indicates it helps some things, but might inhibit the mycorrhiza which I am ASSuming is helpful in the growing stage especially after cotylendron growth.

Wish I knew for sure, but I did eliminate my H202. I also use the Pro Grow and Karma you mentioned which has a lot cool organic ingredients. My slow growers are now taking off...I think...as much as you can see growth over a week or so.

Unless you have a problem with dampening off, I'd switch to weak chamomile tea instead of H202 when you get that musty feeling.... :cool: You could try it on half of your plants and see if you can identify a trend, if you can stand the wait! Which is probably your real issue!!... and mine!

p.s.--I'm also wondering about the continued use of heat mats at this stage of growing...is it needed or possibly counterproductive?

Well here are some pics. The first 10 pictures are now about 1 month old (seeds planted on 1-23-11). Plants look fairly healthy..just seem small...is a month from seed to these sizes slow in your opinions?

First 10 started in cups/dirt on 1/23/11:
102_2330.jpg

102_2331.jpg

102_2333.jpg

102_2334.jpg

102_2337.jpg

102_2339.jpg

102_2340.jpg

102_2341.jpg

102_2342.jpg

102_2344.jpg

So MANY variables in any growers environment, as this noob has discovered in my first indoor grow.

Of all the things mentioned, I'd consider cutting back on the hydrogren peroxide. I was advised as such by Datil Patch and others--info seems to indicates it helps some things, but might inhibit the mycorrhiza which I am ASSuming is helpful in the growing stage especially after cotylendron growth.

Wish I knew for sure, but I did eliminate my H202. I also use the Pro Grow and Karma you mentioned which has a lot cool organic ingredients. My slow growers are now taking off...I think...as much as you can see growth over a week or so.

Unless you have a problem with dampening off, I'd switch to weak chamomile tea instead of H202 when you get that musty feeling.... :cool: You could try it on half of your plants and see if you can identify a trend, if you can stand the wait! Which is probably your real issue!!... and mine!

p.s.--I'm also wondering about the continued use of heat mats at this stage of growing...is it needed or possibly counterproductive?

Well I am not sure. The air temp in the greenhouse when all the lights and fan is on is around 80 degrees. The mat's raise that 10 degrees or so in the soil. At night though, with lights off, it drops into mid 60's in there (basement). What would you recommend? I know the lights aren't keeping it 80 btw..the heat mats contribute greatly to that air temp I am sure. I always thought the soil temp should be kept between 80-90 as much as possible. Is that not correct?

I don't really know much on this matter, but soil being 90 degrees seems like it could cause weird growth patterns. I had way faster growth on my peppers that were transplanted into bigger cups and were taken off the heat mat rather than the ones I left on the heat mat. I'm interested to see what some of the more knowledgeable people have to say on this matter.

Oh almost forgot, my seedlings also got stretchy when I had them on the heat.

Well, this is only my first year growing so u probably know a bit more than I, but from what I gathered, they only need that 80-90 degree temp to just germinate, and then should be moved off the heat mats. I'm not sure about temp but mine are currently at about 75 degrees and most seem to be doing ok at this temp.

Everything I've picked up on here says definately take them off the heat once you get sprouts showing. My room runs around 65 and there is very little heat from the T8 lights.

Everything I've picked up on here says definately take them off the heat once you get sprouts showing. My room runs around 65 and there is very little heat from the T8 lights.

Well if it is 65 they like..i can for sure provide that.. Once I turn those heat mats off..its right at 65 degrees :)
heat mats turned off...check

Thanks guys

Yeah, once they pop heat mats off, lights on 24/7.
I consider anything between 70F to 80F to be fine for growth.
Always water with a room temp solution.

Yeah, once they pop heat mats off, lights on 24/7.
I consider anything between 70F to 80F to be fine for growth.
Always water with a room temp solution.

Thanks SS for that advise. I have my seedlings under the T12 plant and aquarium lights and was worried that the temp (70-72 degrees F) was too cold and would stunt the growth.

Back