food Small batch Jelly questions.

BenVanned

Banned
I am looking to do a small batch of jelly. Probably one single jam jar. I have absolutely no idea how much liquid pectin to use.

Anyone have a small batch recipe?

I've never heard of doing a single jar of jelly. Are you looking for that small amount because that's all the chiles you have or ??? Most recipes use a packet of pectin. I've always used the liquid pectin and had good results with several different flavors.

There are tons of pepper jelly recipes online just for the googling, and most of them make (6-8)1/2 pint jars depending on how much chiles and other ingredients are added. I suppose you could just take one of the recipes and divide it by 4, but from what I've seen working with pectin, the measurements really need to be spot-on with the pectin and sugar for it to properly set up. 4 oz liquid pectin= 1/2 cup=8 tablespoons. Divide all the ingredients by 4....could work....

here's a recipe to get you started. Substitute any chile for those listed, just keep the amounts consistent and you should be good to go.
http://whatscookinga...lapenoJelly.htm

If you give it a go, post pics and results. It would be interesting to see how it turns out. Good Luck!

edit- actually, you never said it was a pepper jelly! :lol: I just ASSUMED since this is a chile website.... anyway, what I said above should relate to fruit jellies as well. :cool:

Jars! ok, do you have room in the refer? You could put it into plastic tubs, even something like cleaned sour cream or cottage cheese tubs. OR- the tubs you get at the deli with take out salads. Wouldn't need jars or canning.

Maybe 2 larger jars instead of 8 smaller jars. Many sauce jars (pasta sauces, mayo, some pickle jars if the threads are right) can be re-used when cleaned and with a fresh jar lid.

Don't tell anyone I said this, but....for jams and jellies which are pretty low risk on the food safety scales....you could even re-use the whole jar and lid from something like a pasta sauce if the lid has a good rubber seal on it. Or from other smaller glass jars with a lid that has a rubber seal. Other jelly jars... I dunno...just keep your eyes open to what's around. I KNOW! It is NOT recommended, and from a food safety standpoint, one should always use fresh lids when canning or processing.

OR! Go Old School! Pour the jelly into any ol' jars (clean, of course!) and seal it with parafin wax!

edit- That just reminded me... we used to have a crazy dude that would sell jams and jellies at the farmers market, He would put the jelly into funky old tea cups and seal it with wax. My mom used to wax seal all her jams and jellies. I think she even re-used the wax from year to year. :crazy: So, basically, anything glass or even SS, that you could put a wax seal on....it's an option.

Back