Small Guatemalan Orange Manzano

This is the one I posted about a few days ago. It was found in the produce section of the Northgate Market, Vista, CA. They told me it came from Guatemala. The pods average around 1" diameter and 1.25-1.5" in length. The average weight is around 20g. 

I love C.pubescens varieties, but this is one of the very best I`ve eaten. It is nice and sweet initially, with a very fruity flavor that reminded me a great deal of ripe apricots. The more I chewed it, the less sweet it became, but it left a very rich, nutty flavour that was altogether delicious. 

The heat hit straight away and was quite warm, getting hotter the longer I chewed. Peak heat was roughly 1/2-3/4 that of a Habanero, so pretty hot for a small Manzano. It left a beautiful warmth all over, without ever getting spiky or aggressive.

I love everything about this variety - the size, looks, flavour and heat. One of the best C.pubescens I`ve ever eaten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u72_3obKHc&feature=youtu.be

Nice review Nigel Before coming to Missouri,  rocotos were one of my favorite peppers when I could find them.
I'm lucky to find a few generic Habs where I'm at now. Sure glad I grow my own peppers  or I would be in hurt city.  

jedisushi06 said:
Cool pods Nigel, save me seeds after u grow these out please.
I can send you seeds as soon as they are dry, along with the Burmese Naga et al. I have about 50 seeds I took out today and I`ll go back to the store and see if they have more pods. 

Nigel said:
I can send you seeds as soon as they are dry, along with the Burmese Naga et al. I have about 50 seeds I took out today and I`ll go back to the store and see if they have more pods. 
yeah i would appreciate that Nigel.

Nigel said:
Definitely not PI387838. Different shape and that one is smaller. There are a few people on THP growing that mini-Rocoto out this year. 
i will be if i can get the dang things to germinate

I was fortunate enough to get some of these from my local Stater Bros Market. I have been using them in my salsas ever since you recommended them, and they have really given a unique flavor that everyone that tries it loves it. Unfortunately it seems the run has ended. I went last night and they no longer have them. I did collect a lot of seed, so I will hopefully have my own supply next year.

Back