• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Small hab with buds

This is an orang Habanero I bought as a seedling. You can see the scale by my hand, its still pretty small.
buddinghab006.jpg

here is a close up of the buds it has
buddinghab007.jpg

I have read that buds on small plants should be pinched off to let the plant get taller and stronger before it has to support fruit.

What does everybody think? If I leave them on will it continue to grow?

I'd leave em on there. If they dont wanna be there they will drop. :) Nice basal shoot formation on that plant, it's gonna be a beaut!
Kevin

The branches coming from the bottom,, Looks like you have 3 or 4 ? It's basically like growing 4 plants in one! 4 times the nodes = 4 times the peppers.
I use stuff to promote this in certain plants. sorry if TMI. :)
Kevin

Cool ! :woohoo:
I have six Habs all in a row that look like that. I thought that was a bad thing with all the shoots branching out. I have seen pics of plants on this site with long tall stems and only foliage at the top and lots of peppers so I thought thats the best way to grow them. The nursery that grew them obviously used something to make them bush out.

I'm all for four times the peppers :dance:

Hiya Megamoo,

If you have six of them I'd remove buds off a few plants and have a look at the difference :)

You'll find if they start producing fruit at that size the growth will slow considerably limiting the potential growth and then potential output of fruit down the line. It won't hurt to let them fruit now as you'll have some peppers early on in the season

I'm picking the buds off my smaller plants at the moment to let them grow out a bit and leaving my larger plants be to produce fruit.

Well only one has buds so far. I meant they look the same in the way that lots of shoots are coming out all the way up the main stem.

edit: I had a closer look and all of them have started tiny little buds. I'll leave most of them alone but I will prune two of them as an experiment like you suggested Timmmy. I don't have a lot of height space for them to grow before I'd have to move them so I'll keep four of them short and bushy.

Hiya Megamoo,

If you have six of them I'd remove buds off a few plants and have a look at the difference :)

You'll find if they start producing fruit at that size the growth will slow considerably limiting the potential growth and then potential output of fruit down the line. It won't hurt to let them fruit now as you'll have some peppers early on in the season

I'm picking the buds off my smaller plants at the moment to let them grow out a bit and leaving my larger plants be to produce fruit.

+1

I have six plants in the ground three year old now, removed buds from three left three alone see no different in harvest. but try it your area weather is way different than here

Back